Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Diverse as they are in their histories and in the organization of their forest sectors, most Nordic countries have this in common: their economies and cultures are substantially based on the utilization of various forest resources. The Future Use of Nordic Forests explores Nordic forest futures and presents research results that form part of a scientific foundation for considering how to balance the functions of forests. It is particularly concerned with global trends that may affect the future use of boreal forests.
Chapters investigate inter-alia the growing world population and the expected economic growth in countries with huge populations, and assess the resulting pressure on all land-based resources. Authors examine the urgent need for solutions to the energy crisis, consider worrying climate scenarios and provide a global outlook on bioenergy futures. Readers will discover how these developments will and must influence long-term strategic decisions on the future use of Nordic forests. The challenges and possible responses for future forest governance and forestry issues emerge, as the chapters go on to consider the multiple pressures in particular on the Swedish Forestry Model, among other themes.
1. Nordic Forest Futures - An Introduction
2. Futures Studies in the Field of Natural Resources
3. Future Forest Trends: Can We Build on Demographically Based Forecasts?
4. Global Trends and Possible Future Land Use
5. Bioenergy Futures: A Global Outlook on the Implications of Land Use for Forest-based Feedstock Production
6. Future Forest Governance: Multiple Challenges, Diverging Responses
7. Climate-related Forest Policies and Trends
8. Actors' Perceptions and Strategies: Forests and Pathways to Sustainability
9. Transition of the Canadian Forest Sector
10. Dilemmas in Forest Policy Development-The Swedish Forestry Model under Pressure
11. Concluding Remarks: Forest Futures in the Making
"By bringing together a distinguished group of internationally renowned scientists representing a diverse set of disciplines covering political science, geography, rural development, forest economics, history, and geo-sciences, this book constitutes an exceptionally profound and thoughtful futures study."
– Alexander Buck, Executive Director, International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO)