+44 1803 865913
By: Erik Westholm(Editor), Karin Beland Lindahl(Editor), Florian Kraxner(Editor)
169 pages, 34 colour & 2 b/w illustrations
Diverse as they are in their histories and in the organization of their forest sectors, most Nordic countries have this in common: their economies and cultures are substantially based on the utilization of various forest resources. The Future Use of Nordic Forests explores Nordic forest futures and presents research results that form part of a scientific foundation for considering how to balance the functions of forests. It is particularly concerned with global trends that may affect the future use of boreal forests.
Chapters investigate inter-alia the growing world population and the expected economic growth in countries with huge populations, and assess the resulting pressure on all land-based resources. Authors examine the urgent need for solutions to the energy crisis, consider worrying climate scenarios and provide a global outlook on bioenergy futures. Readers will discover how these developments will and must influence long-term strategic decisions on the future use of Nordic forests. The challenges and possible responses for future forest governance and forestry issues emerge, as the chapters go on to consider the multiple pressures in particular on the Swedish Forestry Model, among other themes.
"By bringing together a distinguished group of internationally renowned scientists representing a diverse set of disciplines covering political science, geography, rural development, forest economics, history, and geo-sciences, this book constitutes an exceptionally profound and thoughtful futures study."
– Alexander Buck, Executive Director, International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO)
1. Nordic Forest Futures - An Introduction
2. Futures Studies in the Field of Natural Resources
3. Future Forest Trends: Can We Build on Demographically Based Forecasts?
4. Global Trends and Possible Future Land Use
5. Bioenergy Futures: A Global Outlook on the Implications of Land Use for Forest-based Feedstock Production
6. Future Forest Governance: Multiple Challenges, Diverging Responses
7. Climate-related Forest Policies and Trends
8. Actors' Perceptions and Strategies: Forests and Pathways to Sustainability
9. Transition of the Canadian Forest Sector
10. Dilemmas in Forest Policy Development-The Swedish Forestry Model under Pressure
11. Concluding Remarks: Forest Futures in the Making
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I ordered a book from NHBS, it reached India within 7 days by standard shipping! Wonderful packing.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985