Global warming is expected to change fire regimes, likely increasing the severity and extent of wildfires in many ecosystems around the world. What will be the landscape-scale effects of these altered fire regimes? Within what theoretical contexts can we accurately assess these effects?
This book explores the possible effects of altered fire regimes on landscape patch dynamics, dominant species (tree, shrub, or herbaceous) and succession, sensitive and invasive plant and animal species and communities, and ecosystem function. The editors also consider the human dimension: what are the policy and management implications of increased fire disturbance, and what are the implications for human communities?
PART I: CONCEPTS AND THEORY
1. Toward a Theory of Landscape Fire Donald McKenzie, Carol Miller, and Donald A. Falk
2. Scaling Laws and Complexity in Fire Regimes Donald McKenzie and Maureen Kennedy
3. Native Fire Regimes and Landscape Resilience Max A. Moritz, Paul F. Hessburg, and Nicholas A. Povak
PART II: CLIMATE CONTEXT
4. Climate and Spatial Patterns of Wildfire in North America Ze'ev Gedalof
5. Climatic Water Balance and Regional Fire Years in the Pacific Northwest, USA: Linking Regional Climate and Fire at Landscape Scales Jeremy S. Littell and Richard B. Gwozdz
PART III: LANDSCAPE FIRE DYNAMICS AND INTERACTIONS
6. Pyrogeography and Biogeochemical Resilience Erica A.H. Smithwick
7. Reconstructing Landscape Pattern of Historical Fires and Fire Regimes Tyson Swetnam, Donald A. Falk, Amy E. Hessl, and Calvin Farris
8. Fire and Invasive Plants on California Landscapes Jon E. Keeley, Janet Franklin, and Carla D'Antonio
9. Modeling Landscape Fire and Wildlife Habitat Samuel A. Cushman, Tzeidle N. Wasserman, and Kevin McGarigal
PART IV: LANDSCAPE FIRE MANAGEMENT, POLICY, AND RESEARCH IN AN ERA OF GLOBAL CHANGE
10. Managing and Adapting to Changing Fire Regimes in a Warmer Climate David L. Peterson, Jessica E. Halofsky, and Morris C. Johnson
11. Wilderness Fire Management in a Changing Environment Carol Miller, John Abatzoglou, Timothy Brown, and Alexandra Syphard 12. Synthesis: Landscape Ecology and Changing Fire Regimes Donald McKenzie, Carol Miller, and Donald A. Falk
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I have never been so pleased with the quality of service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985