+44 1803 865913
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
Born in Derby, John Mawe (1766–1829) established a successful mineral-dealing business in London and became a significant figure in the development of British commercial mineralogy in the early nineteenth century. He travelled widely, advising on mineral exploration, and gathering specimens for clients such as Charles IV of Spain. This illustrated 1802 work gives an overview of the geological features and strata of Mawe's home county. He discusses the various mineral deposits to be found in Derbyshire, and describes some of the county's mines. Drawing on observations made on his travels, he gives descriptions of important mines in northern England, Scotland and Wales, alongside remarks on geological features of interest. The book closes with a glossary of terms used by miners in Derbyshire. Mawe's well-received Travels in the Interior of Brazil (revised edition, 1821) is also reissued in the Cambridge Library Collection.
1. Curiosities of Derbyshire, particularly near Castleton
2. Account of the strata in Derbyshire
3. The subject continues
4. Strata of the mountains to the west of Castleton
5. Accounts of the adits or galleries
6. Observations on cat dirt
7. Account of the fluor mine, and of the manner of working that mineral
8. Account of other minerals found in Derbyshire
9. Of the lead ores
10. Account of the Ecton copper mine
11. Description of the surface of the country in Derbyshire
12. Some account of the mines north of Derbyshire
13. Concerning some mines in Scotland
14. Tour from Glasgow to Staffa
15. Salt mine of Northwich
16. The Paris mine
17. Some other observations in Wales
18. An account of Mr Williams's book, called the 'Mineral Kingdom'
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
Shopping at NHBS is always good. The range of books is wide, the service is excellent, the orders arrive swiftly.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985