The polar bear is the largest terrestrial carnivore in the world, uniquely adapted to thrive in the harsh environment of the Far North. In The World of the Polar Bear, renowned nature photographer Norbert Rosing follows the polar bear through each season of the year.
This timely third edition has been fully updated and features more than 20 terrific new photographs. With its thorough and engaging text and spectacular photography, The World of the Polar Bear includes:
- A season-by-season account of the life of the polar bear, including feeding, mating and rearing of cubs
- A new chapter featuring the polar bears of Svalbard, Norway
- An intimate look at the animals that share the polar bear's environment, including seals, arctic foxes, walruses and muskoxen
- A section on such northern sky phenomena as sun dogs and northern lights
- Many anecdotes and insights about the polar bear -- at once a loving parent, a fierce predator and a natural jester
Polar bears are seriously threatened by global warming, and this book continues to explore this critical issue.
Norbert Rosing is one of the world's leading natural history photographers. He specialises in the Arctic, particularly polar bears. He works for National Geographic amongst other publications.
"Norbert's gift as a photographer is his great curiosity about the natural world. His magic is displayed in photographs that weave light, colour and action into a tapestry that tells volumes about life in the Far North."
– John A. Echave, Senior Editor, National Geographic Magazine
"Norbert's work reaches deep into the soul of the Far North and tugs at our heartstrings to inspire us to become better caretakers of this precious planet that we live on."
– Robert Buchanan, President, Polar Bears International
"Norbert Rosing is the best photographer of the Arctic working today."
– Art Wolfe, conservation photographer
"Sumptuous white-on-white pictures by a top natural history photographer who has spent decades redording Arctic wildlife."
– Sunday Times (September 2007)
"This is not only a superb portrait of one of the world's most fascinating animals, but also a testament to his abilities as a photographer."
– BBC Wildlife
– Shutterbug (12/01/2007)
"If you buy just one polar bear book this year, make it this one."
– National Post (12/02/2006)
"Polar bears have been one of [Norbert Rosing's] primary fascinations and this book follows them through the seasons."
– Kitchener-Waterloo Record (12/09/2006)
"Hauntingly beautiful images of the Arctic."
– Halifax Daily News (09/10/2006)
"Covers not only the bears enjoying the snow, but also the walruses and arctic foxes around them."
– Derwent May, The Times, London (12/01/2006)
"[The World of the Polar Bear] is, by turns, visually provocative, sumptuously beautiful and emotionally suffering."
– Mark Cocker, The Guardian (11/24/2007)
"An intimate portrayal of their existence through the seasons."
– Kat Tancock, Style at Home (10/01/2006)
"Rosing has produced probably the best collection of images of polar bears and their Arctic habitat ever assembled in one place in this stunning new book."
– Nancy Bent, Booklist (10/01/2006)
"[An] amazing book."
– Laila Maalouf, Destinations (03/01/2007)
"Follows polar bears as they mate, hunt, rear their cubs and journey across the ice."
– Kim Castleberry, Outdoor Photographer (12/01/2006)
"Polar bears and their Arctic neighbours."
– Ron Berthel, Peterborough Examiner (12/09/2006)
"The captions that accompany the photographs are straightforward and succinct, leaving Rosing's striking images to evoke the cold, unrelenting beauty of Canada's North on their own merit."
– Cassandra Drudi, Quill and Quire (12/01/2006)