+44 1803 865913
Edited By: AG Tansley
524 pages, 41 b/w illustrations, 14 maps
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
Distinguished plant ecologist A. G. Tansley (1871-1955) is widely considered to be the father of British ecology. He was one of the founding members of the British Ecological Society and during his career he edited two important journals on the subject: The New Phytologist and the Journal of Ecology. He was also part of a committee formed in 1904 to survey systematically the vegetation of the British Isles. This book, edited by Tansley and first published in 1911, is the result of that survey. It contains contributions by leading botanists of the early twentieth century, and contains detailed maps, photographs and figures. The physical characteristics and climate of Britain are outlined early in the book and later the plant communities of particular areas such as moors, fens and the coast are discussed. This is a significant work that will appeal to both plant ecologists and natural historians.
Introduction. The units of vegetation - their relationships and classification
Part I. The Conditions of Vegetation in the British Isles:
1. The physical characters and climate of the British Islands
2. The soils of the British Islands
Part II. The Existing Vegetation of the British Isles:
1. The distribution of the chief forms of vegetation
2. The plant-formation of clays and loams
3. The vegetation of the coarser sands and sandstones
4. The heath formation
5. The plant-formation of the older siliceous soils
6. The vegetation of calcareous soils
7. Aquatic vegetation
8. The marsh formation
9. The vegetation of peat and peaty soils - moor, fen and heath
10. The river valleys of East Norfolk: their aquatic and fen formations
11. The moor formation - Lowland moors
12. The Upland moors of the Pennine chain
13. Arctic-Alpine vegetation
14. The vegetation of the sea coast
Bibliography of papers on British vegetation
Index of plant names
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
Pretty cool. I have to say that I have enjoyed my interaction with your company.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985