This little book concentrates only on the drone - the male honey bee. It provides details regarding the drone's internal and external anatomy, production and development, behaviour, role in the hive and in genetics and more. Copiously illustrated, the book also discusses the latest research updates in drones.
- Introduction - Apis mellifera
- The honey bee drone
- The drone's external anatomy
- The drone's internal anatomy
- Drone production and development
- The role of the drone in the colony
- Field expeditions and mating
- Drone congregation sites
- Drone's reproductive organs
- Honey bee genetics - the drone's role
- Problems in the hive
"A thorough and beautifully presented book describing the internal and external structure of the oft-forgotten Drone. As a microscopist what I find the most impressive is the quality of the stereomicroscope images that are used in support of the classic Dade drawings. Photomicrography with a stereomicroscope is not easy and needs care, attention and good equipment. The author is to be congratulated."
– Dr. Alan R Potter MBE, MPhil, DSc, Managing Director, Brunel Microscopes Ltd