Invertebrate Histology is a groundbreaking text that offers a comprehensive review of histology in invertebrates. Designed for use by anyone studying, diagnosing, or researching invertebrates, the book covers all major taxonomic groups with details of the histologic features, with color photographs and drawings that clearly demonstrate gross anatomy and histology. The authors, who are each experts in the histology of their respective taxa, bring together the most recent information on the topic into a single, complete volume.
An accessible resource, each chapter focuses on a single taxonomic group with salient gross and histologic features that are clearly described in the text and augmented with color photographs and greyscale line drawings. The histologic images are from mostly hematoxylin and eosin stained microscopic slides showing various organ systems at high and low magnification. In addition, each chapter provides helpful tips for invertebrate dissection and information on how to process invertebrates for histology. This important book:
- Presents detailed information on histology of all major groups of invertebrates
- Offers a user-friendly text that is organized by taxonomic group for easy reference
- Features high-quality color photographs and drawings, with slides showing histology and gross photographs to demonstrate anatomy
- Provides details on invertebrate dissection and processing invertebrates for histology
Written for veterinary pathologists, biologists, zoologists, students, and other scientists studying these species, Invertebrate Histology offers the most updated information on the topic written by over 20 experts in the field.
Foreword / Gregory A. Lewbart
1. Echinodermata / Alisa L. Newton and Michelle Dennis
2. Porifera / Alexander Ereskovsky and Andrey Lavrov
3. Cnidaria / Ilze K. Berzins, Roy P. E. Yanong, Elise E. B. LaDouceur, and Esther C. Peters
4. Mollusca: Gastropoda / Michelle Dennis, Kinga Molnár, György Kriska, and Péter Low
5. Mollusca: Cephalopoda / Jennifer A. Dill-Okubo, Ilze K. Berzins, Elise E. B. LaDouceur, Alvin C. Camus
6. Mollusca: Bivalvia / Roxanna Smolowitz
7. Annelida / Péter Low, György Kriska, and Kinga Molnár
8. Arthropoda: Chelicerate Arthropoda: Arachnida / Benjamin Kennedy, Steven Trim, Damien Laudier, Elise E. B. LaDouceur, and John E. Cooper
9. Arthropoda: Chelicerate Arthropoda: Merostomata / Elise E. B. LaDouceur, Michael M. Garner, Katie J. Roorda (Bergdale), and Alisa L. Newton
10. Arthropoda: Myriapoda / Alisa L. Newton and Elise LaDouceur
11. Arthropoda: Decapoda / Roxanna Smolowitz
12. Arthropoda: Insecta / Elise E. B. LaDouceur, Sarah C. Wood, Damien Laudier, and Elemir Simko
Elise E.B. LaDouceur, DVM, DACVP, is Chief of Extramural Projects and Research at the Joint Pathology Center in Silver Spring, MD, USA.