Investing responsibly is one of the most powerful ways that you can fight climate change.
No longer a niche sector for rebel fund managers, conscious investing has the potential to raise huge sums of money to the companies and organisations on the front line fighting the climate crisis and make investors positive returns in the process.
In this essential introduction to green investing, Alice Ross shows you how you can turn your savings and pensions, however big or small, into a force for change. You will learn:
- Which sectors are leading the charge by developing cutting-edge solutions; from smart farming to renewable energy
- How to cut through 'alphabet soup' jargon and identify 'greenwashing'
- The ways you can maximise your economic power and hold those you're investing in to account
Alice Ross has been a Financial Times journalist for more than a decade, writing on topics from personal investment to corporate activity to market movements. She is now the deputy news editor and has held roles as the deputy editor of the weekend Money section, editor of the Wealth Magazine and editor of the FT newsletter, Trade Secrets. Alice has a degree in philosophy from Cambridge University and an MA in European Thought from University College London.
"What is not to like about a digestible 200-page book that offers the reader power to “help to combat climate change and feel a sense of control in an uncertain world”? [...] Ross’s book is a helpful aid that should leave the reader with a greater sense of what they can do (including take professional investment advice, which her book does not profess to offer) to take some personal control of the climate agenda."
– Stephen Jones is the former chief executive of UK Finance, Financial Times, January 2021
"Changing the way that we invest is one of the most powerful levers we have for solving climate change. This hugely interesting and immensely practical book not only explains why changing how we invest is so critically important but also provides a set of powerful tools for actually doing it"
– Rebecca Henderson, John and Natty McArthur University Professor at Harvard University and author of Reimagining Capitalism
"Explains the power you have, through your investment choices, to accelerate the path toward a sustainable clean energy future. Read this book and be empowered to create a better future for the planet"
– Michael Mann, Distinguished Professor, Penn State University, author of The New Climate War
"This book presents a salient truth: every investor – no matter how large or small – has the power to help address our climate crisis and build a more sustainable world. Together, we can and must act now"
– Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States
"Everyone's savings account and pension can meaningfully contribute. Ross tells us how in this clear, easy to understand yet transformative book"
– Christiana Figueres, Founding Partner, Global Optimism and Former Executive Secretary, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
"I can't imagine a more important book at the moment. A detailed, action-oriented guide on how to make our money matter and save us and the planet we live on"
– Richard Curtis, Writer, Director, Co-Founder of Red Nose Day and UN Sustainable Development Goals Advocate