Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
This fully revised, expanded and updated edition of the successful text, Onions and Other Vegetable Alliums, relates the production and utilization of these familiar and important vegetable crops to the many aspects of plant science underpinning their production and storage technologies. Chapters cover species and crop types, plant structure, genetics and breeding, physiology of growth and development as well as pests and diseases, production agronomy, storage after harvest and the biochemistry of flavour, storage carbohydrates and colour and how this relates to nutritional and health benefits. From this wide perspective it is possible to see many examples where underlying scientific knowledge illuminates, explains and can improve agronomic practice.
The reader will get an insight into how molecular methods are revolutionizing the study of taxonomy, genetics, pathology and physiology and how these methods are being applied in the breeding of improved crops.
* The Classification, Origins, Distribution and Economic Importance of the Major Vegetable Crops
* The Structure of Edible Alliums
* The Genetics and Plant Breeding of Allium Crops
* Physiology of Crop Growth, Development and Yield
* Interactions with Other Organisms: Weeds, Pests, Diseases and Symbionts
* Agronomy and Crop Protection
* Crop Storage and Dormancy
* Biochemistry, Health Benefits and Food Science of Alliums