The Botanical Garden I and II are exciting and thoroughly modern renditions of illustrated botany books. Ten years in the making, this stunning set combines the finest in photography with up-to-date, expert commentary to bridge the gap between gardener-friendly books and scientific texts. Plants from more than 1,200 distinct groups are described - from oaks to violets and water lilies to grasses - and are presented in evolutionary order, from the most primitive to the most advanced. Each plant listing includes:
- Name: genus, species and common names, date of discovery, and range.
- Description: detailed and concise in the scientific style.
- Key Recognition Features.
- Ecology and Geography.
- Comment: cultivation needs plus notes about unusual hybrids or developments in the genus.
- Thorough introductory text encompasses numerous themes in botany, from the history of plant development to current DNA studies that are revolutionizing plant classification.
Each volume includes a detailed index and bibliography.