A beautifully presented, practical gift guide to the age-old art of whittling. There are 50 projects featured in The Whittler's Guide to Life, ranging from quick makes to more elaborate projects, and even a chapter on creating things from cork.
The 8 main themes are:
- Quick Things – including a doorstop, a bookmark and a gift-box book;
- Into The Woods – including a willow whistle, walking stick, fish hook and slingshot;
- Around The House – including chopsticks, coat and crochet hooks;
- Cork Creations – including a succulent pot, stamp, and earphones spool;
- Ornamental Carving – including a boat, a deer and a spinning top;
- Kitchen Carving – including a carrot flute, apple candle and onion flower;
- The Natural World – including a bird feeder and instructions to prepare a fish for cooking, a graft an apple tree.
The projects cater for a range of skill levels and the instructions are complemented by smart step-by-step illustrations, which highlight the tactile quality of the material in hand. The Whittler's Guide to Life also includes an introduction with advice on selecting a penknife, maintaining your blade, choosing your caving material, and carving techniques. Featuring the ultimate crossover of cool craftsmanship and savvy survival-skill projects, The Whittler's Guide to Life is the perfect gift for creative adventurers.
Matt Collins is a writer and hoticultural consultant with a particular interest in the subjects of trees and landscape. Linking an extensive arboricultural knowledge with his passion for traditional hand carving, Matt has developed a close relationship with wood as both a living and crafting medium.