Filled with compelling stories, expert advice, and stunning National Geographic photography, this comprehensive guide features extraordinary destinations for divers who like to travel, divers traveling with non-diving companions, and travelers who are passionate about the ocean.
Dive travel experts Carrie Miller and Chris Taylor traveled to 50 inspirational locations around the world – spending more than 250 hours underwater – to bring you this one-of-a-kind guidebook. In these rich and inviting pages, you will find travel stories and practical tips to make the most of your next adventure.
- Marvel at manta rays and dragons in Komodo;
- Explore the hiking and diving paradise of Saba in the Caribbean;
- Dive in with white sharks and whale sharks in Australia;
- Discover shipwrecks and sand dunes in North Carolina's Outer Banks;
- Learn martial arts and shore-dive in Okinawa, Japan;
- Linger in the land and sea gardens of Bormes-les-Mimosas, France;
- Road-trip around the marine reserves and coastal towns of New Zealand's North Island;
There is a purpose to these extraordinary travel experiences: conservation through exploration. To that end, each location highlights a global issue – from the necessity of protecting remarkable ecosystems like coral reefs and mangroves, to sea turtle and shark conservation – and suggests ways you can learn more and get involved. Whether you're dreaming of your next dive holiday or looking to travel the world a little differently, this guide will inspire you to get out and explore – above and beneath the surface.
Carrie Miller is a traveller, storyteller, and award-winning writer. She has been writing for National Geographic since 1998. Her first book, 100 Dives of a Lifetime: The World's Ultimate Underwater Destinations, was published in 2019.
Chris Taylor is an experienced diver, with more than 1,000 dives under his weight belt. He has worked in the dive industry throughout Australia and has a particular love for sharks. You can follow their work and adventures at Beneath the Surface Media.