+44 1803 865913
By: Helga Stan-Lotter(Editor), Sergiu Fendrihan(Editor)
342 pages, 41 colour & 5 b/w illustrations, 35 tables
This entirely updated second edition provides an overview on the biology, ecology and biodiversity of extremophiles. Unusual and less explored ecosystems inhabited by extremophiles such as marine hypersaline deeps, extreme cold, desert sands, and man-made clean rooms for spacecraft assembly are presented. An additional focus is put on the role of these highly specialized microorganism in applied research fields, ranging from biotechnology and nanotechnology to astrobiology. Examples such as novel psychrophilic enzymes, compounds from halophiles, and detection strategies for potential extraterrestrial life forms are discussed in detail.Adaption of Microbial Life to Environmental Extremes addresses researchers and advanced students in the fields of microbiology, microbial ecology and biotechnology.
1. Physico-chemical boundaries of life
2. Microbial diversity in deep hypersaline anoxic basins
3. Microbial speciation in the geothermal ecosystem
4. Bacterial adaptation to hot and dry deserts
5. Extremophiles in Antarctica: Life at low temperatures
6. Anhydrobiotic rock-inhabiting cyanobacteria: Potential for astrobiology and biotechnology
7. Psychrophilic microorganisms as important source for biotechnological processes
8. Halophilic microorganisms from man-made and natural hypersaline environments: Physiology, ecology, and biotechnological potential
9. Applications of extremophiles in astrobiology: Habitability and life detection strategies
10. Extremophiles in spacecraft assembly clean rooms
11. The Extreme Biology of Meteorites: Their Role in Understanding the Origin and Distribution of Life on Earth and in the Universe
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I'm telling all my friends about your site. We're all into conservation and the environment and the variety of offerings is really impressive.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985