Advances in Invertebrate (Neuro)Endocrinology: A Collection of Reviews in the Post-Genomic Era, Volume 2 provides an informative series of reviews from expert scientists who are at the forefront of their research into the endocrinology of invertebrates, with volume 2 covering the arthropods. This volume is timely and appropriate in this post-genomic era because of the rapid pace of change brought about by genome projects, functional genomics, and genetics (omics technologies). The volume shows the rich history and strong tradition of cutting-edge research using invertebrates that has opened up our broader understanding of comparative endocrinology and the evolution of regulatory pathways and systems. These reviews set the scene and context for this exciting new era of understanding that has come from this post-genomic revolution.
This book undertakes the daunting task of covering most of the diverse endocrine systems that exist among invertebrates. The papers in this book will advance our knowledge of invertebrate endocrinology but also of endocrinology in general, making the book will be valuable to researchers and students.
1. Juvenile Hormone Regulation and Action / C. Rivera-Pérez et al.
2. Molecular Functions of Ecdysteroids in Insects / Naoki Yamanaka and Naoki Okamoto
3. Adipokinetic Hormone: A Hormone for All Seasons? / Heather G. Marco and Gerd Gäde
4. Sex-Related Peptides of Male Insects / R. E. Isaac and S. Sturm
5. Endocrine Control of Pupal Diapause in the Cabbage Army Moth Mamestra brassicae / Akira Mizoguchi
6. Hormonal Control of Diuresis in Insects / Ian Orchard and Angela B. Lange
7. Stayin’ Alive: Endocrinological Stress Responses in Insects / Atsushi Miyashita and Shelley A. Adamo
8. Insect GPCRs and Development of Mimetic Analogs of the Insect Kinin, Pyrokinin-Like and Sulfakinin Neuropeptide Classes as Pest Management Tools / R. J. Nachman
Saber Saleuddin, PhD, is a University Professor Emeritus in the Department of Biology, York University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Angela B. Lange, PhD, was Chair of the Department of Biology, Acting Vice-Principal and Dean, and is currently Vice-Dean, Faculty, at the University of Toronto Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Ian Orchard, DSc, PhD, is a Professor Emeritus, Biology, of the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.