By: Elizabeth Tedsen(Editor), Sandra Cavalieri(Editor), R Andreas Kraemer(Editor)
250 pages, 5 colour & 15 b/w illustrations
Arctic Marine Governance draws on the results of the Arctic TRANSFORM project, funded by the European Commission's Directorate General of External Relations (2008-2009), which engaged experts in a transatlantic discussion of five Arctic-related thematic areas: indigenous peoples, environmental governance, fisheries, offshore hydrocarbon activities, and shipping. Additional chapters integrate other research findings, namely on mega-projects and vulnerable areas requiring protection in the Arctic, and the role and economic, social and environmental impact of the European Union in the Arctic.
The results in Arctic Marine Governance are compiled according to the thematic areas, with a particular focus on policy options for the European Union to enhance its role in Arctic environmental governance. Discussions and results concluded in 2009 are updated with relevant information to 2012, thus providing the most current overview for practitioners and policy makers working to ensure sustainable development of the Arctic region.
I. The Arctic Environment
- Introduction to the Arctic
- The Arctic Marine Environment
- Environmental Governance in the Marine Arctic
- Arctic Indigenous Peoples and the Challenge of Climate Change
II. Impacts & Activities in the Marine Arctic
- Status and Reform of International Arctic Fisheries Law
- Status and Reform of International Arctic Shipping Law
- Understanding Risks Associated with Offshore Hydrocarbon Development
III. Improving Marine Governance
- Impacts Assessments and the New Arctic "Geo-Environment"
- Pan-Arctic Marine Spatial Planning: An Idea whose Time has come
- Marine Protected Areas as a Tool to Ensure Environmental Protection of the Marine Arctic: Legal Aspects
IV. Opportunities for Transatlantic Cooperation
- EU-US Cooperation to enhance Arctic Marine Governance
- List of relevant Treaties, Instruments, and Agreements
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I don't know how you got a book printed 26 years ago in the conditions that I received it (like new) but you do it! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985