Click to have a closer look
About this book
About this book
Co-published with HarperCollins, this third edition has been completely revised and updated, presenting a comprehensive overview of the world and its people at the start of the 21st century. Every topic is presented through easy-to-read graphical presentations including colorful world maps, charts, tables, graphs, photographs and web addresses of additional data sources.
Rich and poor
- Measuring income
- Growth and opportunity
- How poor is poor?
- Population growth and transition
- Children at work
- Education opens doors Gender and development-the role of infrastructure
- Children under 5-struggling to survive
- Improving the health of mothers
- Communicable diseases
- Structure of the world's economy
- Infrastructure for development
- Investment for growth
- The integrating world
- People on the move
- Aid for development
- External debt
- The urban environment
- Feeding a growing world
- A thirsty planet gets thirstier
- Protecting the environment
- Energy security and climate change
- Where is the wealth of nations?
- Key indicators of development
- Ranking of economies by GNI per capita
- Definitions, sources, notes, and abbreviations
144 pages, colour photos, colour illustrations, colour maps, colour tables
This is an excellent, up-to-date source book which will be invaluable for students of, and staff teaching, higher levels of geography . a clear, concise, easily-accessible, and well-illustrated volume.
- Geographical Association, United Kingdom