864 pages, illustrations
Introduce your students to the latest developments in biotechnology and genomics with this new edition of Campbell and Farrell's best-selling text for the one-term course. Known for its logical organization, appropriate depth of coverage, and vibrant illustrations, "Biochemistry", 7e, International Edition, helps your students synthesize the flood of information that has inundated the field since the decoding of the human genome, while showing them how biochemistry principles connect to their everyday lives. The book incorporates up-to-date developments in stem cell research, cloning, and immunology and offers revised coverage of major topics, such as Molecular Biology.
Balancing scientific detail with readability, the book is ideal for students studying biochemistry for the first time. For example, in-text questions and problem sets categorized by problem type help students master chemistry and prepare for exams, and "Biochemical Connections" demonstrate how biochemistry applies to other fields such as health and sports medicine. In addition, the book's revised state-of-the-art visual program improves learning outcomes and its innovative magazine insert, "Hot Topics in Biochemistry" now reflects the latest advances in the field. Count on "Biochemistry", 7e, International Edition to lead the way in currency, clarity, and innovation for your one-semester biochemistry course.
1. Biochemistry and the Organization of Cells
2. Water: The Solvent for Biochemical Reactions
3. Amino Acids and Peptides
4. The Three-Dimensional Structure of Proteins
5. Protein Purification and Characterization Techniques
6. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes
7. The Behavior of Proteins: Enzymes, Mechanisms, and Control
8. Lipids and Proteins Are Associated in Biological Membranes
9. Nucleic Acids: How Structure Conveys Information
10. Biosynthesis of Nucleic Acids: Replication
11. Transcription of the Genetic Code: The Biosynthesis of RNA
12. Protein Synthesis: Translation of the Genetic Message
13. Nucleic Acid Biotechnology Techniques
14. Viruses, Cancer and Immunology
15. The Importance of Energy Changes and Electron Transfer in Metabolism
18. Storage Mechanisms and Control in Carbohydrate Metabolism
19. The Citric Acid Cycle
20. Electron Transport and Oxidative Phosphorylation
21. Lipid Metabolism
23. The Metabolism of Nitrogen
24. Integration of Metabolism: Cellular Signaling
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Mary K. Campbell is Professor Emeritus of chemistry at Mount Holyoke College, where she taught biochemistry, general chemistry, and physical chemistry, as well as advised undergraduates working on biochemical research projects. Her avid interest in writing led to the publication of many highly successful editions of this textbook. Originally from Philadelphia, Dr. Campbell received her Ph.D. from Indiana University and completed postdoctoral work in biophysical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University. Her areas of interest include researching the physical chemistry of biomolecules, specifically, spectroscopic studies of protein-nucleic acid interactions. She is also coauthor with Shawn Farrell on "Biochemistry", 7e (Cengage Learning, Brooks/Cole).
Shawn O. Farrell, a native of Northern California, received his B.S. in biochemistry from University of California, Davis, studying carbohydrate metabolism. He completed his Ph.D. in biochemistry at Michigan State University, where he focused on the study of fatty acid metabolism. Dr. Farrell became interested in biochemistry while in college, as it was relevant to his passion for bicycle racing. He raced competitively for 15 years and now officiates bicycle races worldwide. He has taught biochemistry lecture and laboratory courses at Colorado State University for 16 years and now works for USCycling. Professor Farrell has written scientific journal articles about specific research projects and about laboratory teaching, as well as articles for sports publications, such as "Salmon, Trout, and Steelheader" magazine. He is co-author with Mary Campbell on "Biochemistry", 7e (Cengage Learning/Brooks Cole).