352 pages, illustrations
The fourth edition of Bioenergetics presents a clear and up-to-date explanation of chemiosmotic theory, covering mitochondria, bacteria, and chloroplasts. Bioenergetics takes account of the many newly determined structures, such as ATP synthase and the two photosystems of photosynthesis, that provide molecular insight into chemiosmotic energy transduction. Written for students and researchers alike, Bioenergetics is the most well-known, current and respected text on chemiosmotic theory and membrane bioenergetics available.
Bioenergetics's three main sections cover:
- The fundamentals of bioenergetics, ion transport pathways, thermodynamics and the basis of the proton circuit
- The structures and mechanisms of the protein complexes of the electron transport chains in mitochondria, bacteria and photosynthetic systems, the ATP synthase and transport proteins
- The application of these structures and principles to physiology and pathophysiology
This edition includes new color figures of protein structures and many newly drawn illustrations to help the reader to grasp the fundamental insights. Every chapter has been extensively revised and updated, and a new chapter on the bioenergetics of mitochondria in the intact cell satisfies the rapidly growing interest in this topic.
Reviews of the third edition:
"Not only is Bioenergetics 3 comprehensive, but the material is presented in a reassuringly accessible form. [...] this text is supremely successful."
- The Biochemist (December 2003)
"Bioenergetics 3 is a worthy successor to the second edition, and one that I can enthusiastically recommend."
- Aubrey D.N.J. de Grey University of Cambridge for Mitochondrion (2002)
Chapter 1: Chemiosmotic Energy Transduction
Chapter 2: Ion Transport Across Energy-conserving Membranes
Chapter 3: Quantitative Bioenergetics: The Measurement Of Driving Forces
Chapter 4: The Chemiosmotic Proton Circuit In Isolated Organelles: Theory And Practice
Chapter 5: Respiratory Chains
Chapter 6: Photosynthetic Generators Of Protonmotive Force
Chapter 7: The ATP Synthase
Chapter 8: Metabolite And Ion Transport
Chapter 9: Mitochondrial Bioenergetics In The Cell
Chapter 10 Mitochondrial Cell Biology
Chapter 11: Signals Between The Mitochondrion And The Cell
Chapter 12: Mitochondria In Physiology And Pathology
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!