The Bristol Ornithological Club has celebrated its 50th anniversary by publishing a 96-page book, professionally printed and featuring many colour photographs. It includes:
- an account of how the Club was founded
- '50 Birds of Avon' - a page for each one, chosen by a cross-section of the membership
- '50 Years of change' - a survey of the changes to local bird populations over the past half century
"[...] This publication will clearly interest local birders, but it is certainly worth examination further afield, too, especially for any other bird club looking to celebrate similar milestones. The freshness in approach, and content in general, justify this highly pleasing record of the BOC's first 50 years."
– Steve Holliday, 22nd May 2017, wwww.birdguides.com
"This short book has been produced to mark 50 years of the Bristol Ornithological Club. As a one-time Bristol resident, it brought back many memories of the vibrant birdwatching community and the birds of the area. There is a short history of the club, followed by “Fifty birds of Avon”, where local club members have chosen a species each and described what it means to them. Perhaps of greatest interest is an insightful article by BTO Jubilee medal winner Richard Bland on “Fifty years of change”, summarising the ups and downs of the local avifauna over that period. An excellent publication – maybe something for other clubs to emulate?"
– Andy Musgrove, BTO book reviews