Known as the heart of Africa, the Congos are one of the last bastions in Africa for the seriously adventurous traveler. Both countries remain difficult to visit especially when traveling overland. This revised guide tells you how to travel both adventurously and safely and includes an extensive chapter on security. It provides the intrepid traveler with practical information and the unique maps you will need to explore this jungle territory.
City maps have been updated with the latest information on where to find hotels, restaurants and shops. The road network has been repaired and travelers can now travel easily by minibus throughout some regions of these countries. Overland routes are much improved and regional maps are completely revised to show the updated infrastructure. The Congos encompass Africa's largest area of intact rainforest and much of the book is devoted to the spectacular wildlife in both countries.
Two eastern national parks, both World Heritage Sites, protect not only the mountain gorilla but the critically endangered eastern lowland gorilla and information on tour groups visiting these sites and many others is included in the guide. Providing practical information on every region of both countries, essential advice on preparation as well as safety precautions, this is the only comprehensive guide to both Congos in English.
(3) Chapter 1 Background Information
(4) Chapter 2 Practical Information
(5) Chapter 3 Background information
(6) Chapter 4 Practical information
(7) Chapter 5 Kinshasa
(8) Chapter 6 Around Kinshasa and Bas-Congo
(9) Chapter 7 Central Democratic Republic of Congo
(10) Chapter 8 Katanga
(11) Chapter 9 Kisangani, Maiko and the North
(12) Chapter 10 The East
(13) Chapter 11 Background Information
(14) Chapter 12 Practical Information
(15) Chapter 13 Brazzaville
(16) Chapter 14 Around Brazzaville
(17) Chapter 15 The West: Pointe Noire and Dolisie
(18) Chapter 16 The North
(19) Appendix 1 Wildlife Guide
(20) Appendix 2 Language
(21) Appendix 3 Further Information
(22) Appendix 4 Glossary of names and acronyms
Sean Rorison is a Canadian writer who has visited over 90 countries. He helped launch the award-winning travel journal site Polo's Bastards, that focuses primarily on difficult destinations.
"The book is well written and a result of extensive research. Without being academic, it provides a wide range of information concerning the country's (sad) history. There is good advice regarding health and language. The chapters cover virtually all the country, even places that the tourist will not visit due to distance."