+44 1803 865913
By: Tom Turner(Author)
456 pages, colour photos, colour & b/w illustrations, colour maps
Garden design began in West Asia and spread through Europe. British Gardens: History, Philosophy and Design tells how, in the British Isles, it flourished to an extraordinary degree. Following the historical method in Tom Turner's books on Asian gardens (2010) and European gardens (2011), it uses almost 1000 colour photographs, plans and style diagrams to provide a word and image history of garden design. Individual chapters cover the Celtic, Roman, Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical, Romantic, Arts and Crafts, Modern and Postmodern periods
1. Neolithic gardens & landscapes: 3500BCE-43
2. Romano-British gardens & landscapes: 43-1066
3. Medieval gardens & landscapes: 1066-1485
4. Renaissance gardens & landscapes: 1485-1660
5. Baroque gardens & landscapes: 1660-1750
6. Neoclassical gardens & landscapes: 1730-1794
7. Romantic gardens & landscapes: 1794-1880
8. Arts and Crafts gardens & landscapes: 1880-1970
9. Abstract modern gardens: 1925-1972 1925-1980
10. Post-Abstract and sustainable gardens: post-1980
Appendix I: Asia, Europe and the British Isles
Appendix II: Names for styles and periods
Appendix III Wollaton Hall: Garden history and creative conservation Michael Simonsen
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Tom Turner teaches on the undergraduate and masters programmes in garden history and landscape architecture at the University of Greenwich in London.
Your orders support book donation projects
I don't know how you got a book printed 26 years ago in the conditions that I received it (like new) but you do it! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985