Series: Metal Ions in Life Sciences Volume: 11
560 pages, 43 colour & 85 b/w illustrations, 20 tables
Volume 11 provides in an authoritative and timely manner in 16 stimulating chapters, written by 40 internationally recognized experts from 11 nations, and supported by more than 2600 references, 35 tables, and over 100 illustrations, many in color, a most up-to-date view on the role of cadmium for life, presently a vibrant research area. MILS-11 covers the bioinorganic chemistry of Cd(II), its biogeochemistry, anthropogenic release into the environment, and speciation in the atmosphere, waters, soils, and sediments.
The analytical tools for Cd determination, its imaging in cells, and the use of 113Cd NMR to probe Zn(II) and Ca(II) proteins are summarized, as are Cd(II) interactions with nucleotides, nucleic acids, amino acids, and proteins including metallothioneins. The phytoremediation by Cd(II)-accumulating plants, etc., the toxicology of Cd(II), its damage to mammalian organs, and its role as a carcinogen for humans, are highlighted.
1. The Bioinorganic Chemistry of Cadmium in the Context of Its Toxicity; Wolfgang Maret and Jean-Marc Moulis
2. Biogeochemistry of Cadmium and Its Release to the Environment; Jay T. Cullen and Maria T. Maldonado
3. Speciation of Cadmium in the Environment; Francesco Crea, Claudia Foti, Demetrio Milea, and Silvio Sammartano
4. Determination of Cadmium in Biological Samples; Katrin Klotz, Wobbeke Weistenhofer, and Hans Drexler
5. Imaging and Sensing of Cadmium in Cells; Masayasu Taki
6. Use of 113Cd NMR to Probe the Native Metal Binding Sites in Metalloproteins: An Overview; Ian M. Armitage Torbjorn Drakenberg and Brian Reilly
7. Solid State Structures of Cadmium Complexes with Relevance for Biological Systems; Rosa Carballo, Alfonso Castineiras, Alicia Dominguez-Martin, Isabel Garcia Santos and Juan Niclos-Gutierrez
8. Complex Formation of Cadmium(II) with Sugar Residues, Nucleobases, Phosphates, Nucleotides, and Nucleic Acids; Roland K. O. Sigel, Miriam Skilandat, Astrid Sigel, Bert P. Operschall and Helmut Sigel
9. Cadmium(II) Complexes of Amino Acids and Peptides; Imre Sovago and Katalin Varnagy
10. Natural and Artificial Proteins Containing Cadmium; Anna F. A. Peacock and Vincent L. Pecoraro
11. Cadmium in Metallothioneins; Eva Freisinger and Milan Vasak
12. Cadmium-Accumulating Plants; Hendrik Kupper and Barbara Leitenmaier
13. Cadmium Toxicity in Plants; Elisa Andresen and Hendrik Kupper
14. Toxicology of Cadmium and Its Damage to Mammalian Organs; Frank Thevenod and Wing-Kee Lee
15. Cadmium and Cancer; Andrea Hartwig
16. Cadmium in Marine Phytoplankton; Yan Xu and Francois M. M. Morel
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!