+44 1803 865913
By: Dietland Müller-Schwarze(Author)
577 pages, Col plates, diags & tabs
Published in 2006, Chemical Ecology of Vertebrates was the first book to focus exclusively on the chemically-mediated interactions between vertebrates including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, and other animals and plants. Reviewing research in three core areas - pheromones (where the interactions are between members of the same species), interspecific interactions involving allomones (where the sender benefits) and kairomones (where the receiver benefits), it pulls together information from widely scattered technical literature in many different disciplines into a coherent whole. Chapters on the environment, properties of odour signals, and production and release of chemosignals set the stage for discussion of more complex behavioural topics. While the main focus is ecological, dealing with behaviour and interactions in the field, it also covers chemoreception, orientation and navigation, the development of behaviour and the practical applications of chemosignal
"This is an interesting book for anyone with even a passing interest in chemical ecology... raises awareness and whets the appetite."
- Gordon Hamilton, Bulletin of the British Ecological Society
1. The odorsphere: the environment for transmission of chemical signals
2. Properties of vertebrate semiochemicals
3. Odor production and release
4. Chemical cues in orientation and navigation
6. Signaling pheromones
7. Priming pheromones
8. Development of intra- and interspecific chemical interactions
9. Chemical defense by animals
10. Herbivores' exposure to chemical defenses of plants
11. Kairomones and synomones
12. Practical applications of semiochemicals
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Dietland Müller-Schwarze is Professor of Environmental Biology at the State University of New York.
Your orders support book donation projects
thank you for the excellent customer service
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985