+44 1803 865913
The taxonomy and nomenclature of the fishes of the superfamily Cobitoidea (suborder Cobitoidei minus Catostomidae) are reviewed. Original descriptions of all 1499 recorded species-group names and 185 genus-group names were checked for correct spelling, types and bibliographic references. The bibliography includes about 1010 titles. 1043 valid species in 111 valid genera are recognised. Synonymies are given, based on published information as well as unpublished observations. Endings consistent with the three possible Latin grammatical genders of genus-group names are indicated for all species-group names; basic tools are provided to establish the correct endings in most simple cases.
The main nomenclatural acts are:
- new family-group names: Serpenticobitidae, Barbuccidae;
- new genera: Ambastaia (type species: Botia nigrolineata), Theriodes (type species: Acanthophthalmus sandakanensis), Speonectes (type species: Sundoreonectes tiomanensis);
- lectotype designation: Cobitis stephanidisi (sensu Economidis, 1992);
- declaration as nomen protectum: Cobitis biwae;
- declaration as nomen oblitum: Cobitis schlegeli;
- first reviser action on precedence of simultaneous synonyms: Parabotia kimluani over P. vancuongi, Cobitis taenia turcica over Cobitinula anatoliae, Sewellia medius over S. grandis, Parasewellia monolobata over P. polylobata, Cobitis turio over C. bilturio, Triplophysa bashanensis over T. longchiensis, Yunnanilus macrositanus over Y. forkicaudalis;
- first reviser action on correct spelling of: Parabotia vancuongi, Cobitis fahireae, Hemimyzon songamensis, Sewellia analis, Parasewellia polylobata, Vanmanenia monofasciodorsalata, V. trifaseudorsala, Oreonectes microphthalmus, Paracobitis posterodorsalus, Yunnanilus macrositanus, Y. forkicaudalis, and Y. spanisbripes.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
Fantastic service at a great price – I'll definitely use you again.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985