The answer to the question "What coral is that?" is in your head – literally. Your eyes and brain are the world’s most powerful supercomputer capable of solving complex visual problems instantly. Traditional field guides put text between you and the answer – and text needs to be interpreted. The Coral Finder reduces the problem of identifying corals to a series of simple visual choices. It does so by creating a choice matrix for at-a-glance decision-making where it really matters underwater. Just scan the page and "see" the answer! To further take the confusion out of learning coral identification, a simplified glossary of terms is included. Culled from the hundreds of terms in use by professional taxonomists the Coral Finder only requires what you need to know to get the job done.
The completely revised and up-to-date 4th edition of the book delivers easy genus level coral ID anywhere between the Red Sea and Easter Island.
- Over 1730 images & expanded genus coverage
- Updated to reflect molecular taxonomy as of December 2020
- Includes bibliography to molecular literature
- Twice the visual coverage (80 pages) of the previous edition
- Note: not for underwater use!
"Clearly the best guide out there for understanding how to identify corals in the field. Teaches the process, allowing identification to different taxonomic levels and can adapt to taxonomic changes in future."
– Thomas Bridge, Senior Curator, Corals, Queensland Museum