Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
The collection of 13 papers in this volume of Nova Hedwigia Beihefte all focus on aspects of diatom taxonomy and systematics. Amongst these contributions are papers describing new species, both fossil and recent, marine and freshwater; bibliographic matters, necessary for taxonomic priority issues as well as specimen recognition; structural-functional interpretations of the silica parts, studies that are far too infrequent these days; and the results, both illuminating and confounding, of culturing studies.
The papers in this volume reflect the work of Patricia Sims peer group and new and emerging leaders in the fields of marine micropaleontology, diatom taxonomy, systematics, biogeography and evolution.The volume is richly illustrated, and new genera and species are proposed, from freshwater and marine environments, fossil and recent and, reflecting Pat Sims' own worldwide perspective.
This volume is dedicated to Patricia Sims of the Natural History Museum, London, on the occasion of her 80th birthday (in 2012) and her contributions to diatom research. It is of interest for every scientist working on diatoms and interested in the variety of diatom research.
- Williams, D. M. & Hasle, G.: Pat Sims: A bibliography with annotations concerning type material 1
- Mann, D. G.: Unconventional diatom collections 35
- Tiffany, M. A.: Valve and girdle band morphogenesis in the pseudocellate diatom species Biddulphia biddulphiana J.E. Smith (Boyer) and Isthmia nervosa Kütz 61
- Dabek, P., Witkowski, J., Witkowski, A. & Riaux-Gobin, C.: Morphology of Biddulphia seychellensis (Grunow in Van Heurck) F.W. Mills and the generic limits of Biddulphia Gra 97
- Fenner, J. M.: Description of a new fossil diatom species, Haslea antiqua (Bacillariophyceae), with comments on its valve structure, and habitat 107
- Crawford, R. M.: Tying up loose ends in the marine diatom genus Corethron Castracane 125
- Strelnikova, N. I. & Kozyrenko, T. F.: Donskinica gen. nov., a new biddulphioid fossil diatom genus 133
- Williams, D., Yesilyurt, J. & Tuji, A.: A guide to the publications of Paul Friedrich Reinsch (1836-1914) containing descriptions of new diatom names 143
- Hernández-Becerril, D. U., Salazar-Paredes, J. & Barón-Campis, S. A.: Morphology and morphological changes of the marine planktonic diatom Thalassiosira allenii Takano (Bacillariophyta) during culture 157
- Karthick, B., Nautiyal, R., Kociolek, J. P. & Ramachandra, T. V.: Two new species of Gomphonema (Bacillariophyceae) from Doon Valley, Uttarakhand, India 165
- Kociolek, J. P., You, Q-M., Wang, X. & Liu, Q-X.: A consideration of some interesting freshwater gomphonemoid diatoms from North America and China, and the description of Gomphosinica gen. nov. 175
- Kulikovskiy, M., Lange-Bertalot, H., Kuznetsova, I. & Khursevich, G.: Three new species of Eolimna Lange-Bertalot & Schiller (Bacillariophyta) from Lake Baikal 199
- Witkowski, A., Lange-Bertalot, H., Kociolek, J. P., Bak, M., Kulikovskiy, M. S. & Kuznetsova, I.: Diatom flora of San Francisco Bay and vicinity III. New species in the genus Nitzschia Hassall 211