+44 1803 865913
By: Michael C Appleby(Editor), Peter Sandøe(Editor), Daniel M Weary(Editor)
There are endless on-going debates in animal welfare. Dilemmas in Animal Welfare seeks to distil some of the major themes of current debate into one volume edited by internationally known names in the field of animal welfare. Each chapter, written by a leading expert will discuss in an open-handed way a provocative topic, which will be of interest to anyone concerned with animal welfare. Issues covered include tail docking, pet obesity, isolation vs. group aggression, neutering feral cats and the need to conserve wildlife habitats in the face of wild animal overpopulation
1. Introduction: values, dilemmas and solutions Dilemmas within animal welfare
2. Tales about tails: is the mutilation of animals justifiable in their best interests or ours?
3. Fat companions: understanding the welfare effects of obesity in cats and dogs
4. Welfare and quantity of life Animal welfare and social priorities
5. Improving farm animal welfare: is evolution or revolution needed in production systems?
6. Whom should we eat? Why veal can be better for welfare than chicken
7. Public health and animal welfare Animal welfare and conservation
8. Balancing the need for conservation and the welfare of individual animals
9. Value conflicts in feral cat management: trap-neuter-return or trap-euthanize? Conceptual dilemmas
10. Alone or together: a risk assessment approach to group housing
11. What is suffering in animals?
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Michael C Appleby is Chief Scientific Adviser, Humane and Sustainable Agriculture, World Society for the Protection of Animals. Peter Sandøe is Professor in Bioethics, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Daniel M Weary is Professor and NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Animal Welfare, the University of British Columbia, Canada.
Your orders support book donation projects
Many thanks, your customer service is certainly something to be proud of.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985