330 pages, 16 colour photos and illustrations, 38 b/w illustrations, tables
More than two third of the surface area of our planet is covered by oceans and assessment of the marine biodiversity is a challenging task. With the increasing global population, there is a tendency to exploit marine recourses for food, energy and other requirements. This puts pressure on the fragile marine environment and needs sustainable conservation efforts. Marine species identification using traditional taxonomical methods are often burdened with taxonomic controversies.
In DNA Barcoding in Marine Perspectives, the contributors discuss the comparatively new concept of DNA barcoding and its significance in marine perspective. This molecular technique can be helpful in the assessment of cryptic species which are widespread in marine environment, and can also be used to link the different life cycle stages to the adult which is difficult to accomplish in marine ecosystems. Other advantages of DNA barcoding include authentication and safety assessment of seafood, wildlife forensics, conservation genetics and detection of invasive alien species. Global DNA barcoding efforts in the marine habitat include MarBOL, CeDAMar, CMarZ, SHARK-BOL, etc. DNA barcoding of different marine groups ranging from the microbes to mammals is to be revealed. In conjugation with newer and faster techniques like high throughput sequencing, DNA barcoding is serving as an effective modern tool in marine biodiversity assessment and conservation.
1. DNA Barcoding in the Marine Habitat: An Overview
2. Measurement of a Barcode's Accuracy in Identifying Species
3. DNA barcoding: a tool to assess and conserve marine biodiversity
4. Safety Assessment and authentication of seafood through DNA barcoding
5. Bioinformatics tools in Marine DNA Barcoding
6. Morphological and COI sequence based charactersation of Marine Polychaete Species from Great Nicobar Island, India
7. Revised Phylogeny of Extant Xiphosurans (Horseshoe Crabs)
8. DNA Barcoding in marine nematodes: successes and pitfalls
9. DNA barcoding of calanoid copepods from the gulf of california
10. DNA Barcoding of Primitive Species - Nemertine from Sundarbans Marine Bio-Resourse
11. Future Perspectives of DNA Barcoding in Marine Zooplanktons and Invertebrates
12. Molecular Positioning of Living Fossils (Horseshoe Crab) Using DNA Barcoding Approach
13. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Wild and Hatchery Reared Strains of Indian Lates calcarifer (Bloch)
14. Barcoding Antarctic fishes: species discrimination and contribution to elucidate ontogenetic changes in Nototheniidae
15. Barcoding of Indian marine fishes: For identification and conservation
16. DNA barcoding Identifies Brackish Water fishes from Nallavadu Lagoon, Puducherry, India
17. DNA Barcoding of Marine fish: Prospects and Challenges
18. DNA Barcoding in Phytoplankton and other algae in Marine Ecosystem: An Effective Tool for Biodiversity Assessment
19. A search for a single DNA barcode for seagrasses of the world
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!