+44 1803 865913
By: Brian J Skinner(Author), Stephen C Porter(Author), Jeffrey Park(Author)
628 pages, colour photos, colour illustrations
This best-selling physical geology text emphasizes the theme of dynamic change to help students better understand our environment, landscapes, climate, and resources. Dynamic Earth, Fifth Edition introduces plate tectonics and the Earth system early in the text, giving students a sense of how earth processes and systems are interrelated. Both plate tectonics and the Earth system are revisited in a boxed section at the end of each chapter. Instructors who adopt the text will have access to an electronic image bank that includes all line art from Dynamic Earth, numerous animations, and hundreds of photographs.
New to this edition:
- Introduces plate tectonics and the Earth system in the first two chapters. Each chapter also features a section titled Revisiting Plate Tectonics and the Earth System.
- This edition features new co-author and geophysicist Jeffrey Park of Yale University.
- Uses GPS measurements to introduce plate tectonics in Chapter 2. Historic evidence, based on paleomagnetism, is discussed in Chapter 20: Earth Through Geologic Time.
- Features revised chapter order based on feedback from users (see Table of Contents).
- Integrates throughout the book discussions of human effects on the environment. The human race is presented as a force affecting changes to Earth.
- Includes revisions, updates, and corrections in all chapters. About 25% of the illustrations in this edition are new, and many of the new illustrations reflect current and ongoing research.
Meet Planet Earth!
Global Tectonics: Our Dynamic Planet
Atoms, Elements, Minerals
Igneous Rocks: Products of Earth?s Internal Fire
Magmas and Volcanoes
Weathering and Soils
Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks: Archives of Earth History
Metamorphism and Metamorphic Rocks: New Rocks from Old
How Rock Bends, Buckles, and Breaks
Earthquakes and Earth's Interior
Geologic Time and the Rock Record
The Changing Face of the Land
Streams and Drainage Systems
Glaciers and Glaciation
Atmosphere, Winds, and Deserts
The Oceans and Their Margins
Climate and our Changing Planet
The Earth Through Time
Resources of Minerals and Energy
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
We find their customer service to be excellent
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985