Language: English, also available in Afrikaans
Published in cooperation with Game Parks Publishing, Eagles of Africa celebrates the eagles of Africa in evocative text and compelling photography:
- Colour photographs of all 26 eagle species occurring on the African mainland – a first in publishing history.
- Informative but readable species accounts.
- Special essays, in images and words, on the hunt, the breeding cycle, the eagle’s day and the eagle’s world.
- Eagle names in English, Afrikaans, French, German, Spanish, Swahili, Tswana, and Zulu.
- Distribution maps, measurements, global conservation status.
- Anecdotes from the author’s experiences in the field.
Johann Knobel, the author and photographer, has had an abiding interest in eagles from boyhood. Since 1991 his main photographic focus has been to capture the spirit of the eagles of Africa. He has watched and photographed eagles in Southern and East Africa, the Middle East, and North America. Johann is a co-author of The Magnificent Natural Heritage of South Africa
Alan Kemp, internationally recognised raptor expert and co-author with his wife Meg of The Birds of Prey of Africa and its Islands (New Holland 1998), acted as specialist ornithological consultant.
Peter Steyn, pioneer of African eagle research and well-known author of Eagle Days (Purnell 1973), The Birds of Prey of Southern Africa (David Philip 1982) and Hunters of the African Sky, contributed a foreword.