In Earth in Mind, noted environmental educator David W. Orr focuses not on problems in education, but on the problem of education. Much of what has gone wrong with the world, he argues, is the result of inadequate and misdirected education that:
- alienates us from life in the name of human domination
- causes students to worry about how to make a living before they know who they are
- overemphasizes success and careers
- separates feeling from intellect and the practical from the theoretical
- deadens the sense of wonder for the created world
David W. Orr is the Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental Studies and Politics at Oberlin College. The recipient of the Bioneers Award and the Lyndhurst Prize, he has written three previous books and scores of articles on subjects ranging from education to agriculture.