368 pages, illustrations
The aim of ecodynamics is to relate ecosystems to evolutionary thermodynamics, which can lead to appropriate solutions for sustainable development. The contributions published in Ecodynamics relate to all aspects of ecosystems and sustainable development, ranging from physical sciences to economics and epistemology. The world of ecosystems has been dominated by the towering personality of Ilya Prigogine to whom this volume is dedicated. The first article is an extract from his autobiography written shortly before he died.
Ecodynamics contains a series of outstanding contributions on ecodynamics that appeared in limited editions before the emergence of the International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics, which has now become the primary focus for this area of research. This compilation of influential papers currently unavailable in the open literature will make an important contribution to the field of ecodynamics.
- Autobiography of Ilya A. Prigogine (1917 - 2003)
- Towards a thermodynamics of biological systems
- Is entropy far from equilibrium a state function?
- Global change and human change: a prescription for adaptive evolution from ecological network theory
- Ecosystems becoming
- A common framework for emergy and exergy based LCA in accordance with environ theory
- A nonthermodynamic constraint to trophic transfer efficiency based on network utility analysis
- Emergy, empower and the eco-exergy to empower ratio: a reconciliation of H. T. Odum with Prigogine?
- Sustaining our commonwealth of nature and knowledge
- The character of earth history
- Thermodynamics, information, and complexity in artificial and living systems
- Ecological utility analysis: determination of interaction types between organisms in ecosystems
- Process ecology: a transactional worldview
- The origins of irreversibility
- Reversibility in science and in engineering
- The nature of spontaneity-driven processes
- The conjunction of non-living and living in human systems: why do novelties emerge?
- Cascading thresholds to heteroclinicity in an ecosystem model
- City out of chaos: social patterns and organization in urban systems
- Quo vadis thermodynamics and the city: a critical review of applications of thermodynamic methods to urban systems
- Four-dimensional design: from strategies to cases - generation of fractal grammar for reusing building elements
- Scale-linking design for systematic health: sustainable communities and cities in context
- An exploration of the mathematics behind the ecological footprint
- The eco-costs/value ratio, a tool to determine the long-term strategy of de-linking economy and environmental ecology
- Extreme events in nature - a challenge for the understanding of complex dynamics
- Evolutionism and holism: two different paradigms for the phenomenon of biological evolution
- Monitoring of movement behaviors of chironomid larvae after exposure to diazinon using fractal dimension and self-organizing map
- Order and chaos in the natural world: exploring and understanding variability in the lagoon of Venice
- An experimental model for mimicking biological systems: the Belousov - Zhabotinsky reaction in lipid membranes
- With arsenic on the Etruscans' footprints
- Steps towards an evolutionary medicine
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!