Previously published in Plant Ecology, Volume 201, No.1, 2009.
Forest Ecology: Recent Advances in Plant Ecology provides an overview of recent advances in forest ecology on a variety of topics, including species diversity and the factors that control species diversity, environmental factors controlling distribution of forests, impacts of disturbances on forests (fires, drought, hurricane), reproduction ecology of both trees and understory species, and spatial organization of forests.
- Quantitative classification and carbon density of the forest vegetation in Luliang Mountains of China
- Effects of introduced ungulates on forest understory communities in northern Patagonia are modified by timing and severity of stand mortality
- Tree species richness and composition 15 years after strip clear-cutting in the Peruvian Amazon
- Changing relationships between tree growth and climate in Northwest China
- Does leaf-level nutrient-use efficiency explain Nothofagus-dominance of some tropical rain forests in New Caledonia?
- Dendroecological study of a subalpine fir (Abies fargesii) forest in the Qinling Mountains, China
- A conceptual model of sprouting responses in relation to fire damage: an example with cork oak (Quercus suber L.) trees in Southern Portugal
- Non-woody life-form contribution to vascular plant species richness in a tropical American forest
- Relationships between spatial configuration of tropical forest patches and woody plant diversity in northeastern Puerto Rico
- Vascular diversity patterns of forest ecosystem before and after a 43-year interval under changing climate conditions in the Changbaishan Nature Reserve, northeastern China
- Gap-scale disturbance processes in secondary hardwood stands on the Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee, USA
- Plurality of tree species responses to drought perturbation in Bornean tropical rain forest
- Red spruce forest regeneration dynamics across a gradient from Acadian forest to old field in Greenwich, Prince Edward Island National Park, Canada
- Distance- and density-dependent seedling mortality caused by several diseases in eight tree species co-occurring in a temperate forest
- Response of native Hawaiian woody species to lava-ignited wildfires in tropical forests and shrublands
- Evaluating different harvest intensities over understory plant diversity and pine seedlings, in a Pinus pinaster Ait. natural stand of Spain
- Land-use history affects understorey plant species distributions in a large temperate-forest complex, Denmark
- Short-term responses of the understory to the removal of plant functional groups in the cold-temperate deciduous forest
- Host trait preferences and distribution of vascular epiphytes in a warm-temperate forest
- Seed bank composition and above-ground vegetation in response to grazing in sub-Mediterranean oak forests (NW Greece)
- On the detection of dynamic responses in a drought-perturbed tropical rainforest in Borneo
- Changes in tree and liana communities along a successional gradient in a tropical dry forest in south-eastern Brazil
- Woody plant composition of forest layers: the importance of environmental conditions and spatial configuration
- The importance of clonal growth to the recovery of Gaultheria procumbens L. (Ericaceae) after forest disturbance
- Species richness and resilience of forest communities: combined effects of short-term disturbance and long-term pollution
- Hurricane disturbance in a temperate deciduous forest: patch dynamics, tree mortality, and coarse woody detritus
Review of the hardback edition:
"The target group for which the book is published is possibly academic libraries which may prefer a bound hardcover book Forest Ecology to single issues of Plant Ecology."
- Eberhard F. Bruenig, International Forestry Review, Vol. 11 (4), 2009