This volume covers multi-disciplinary Research and Development contributions from Europe, Asia and North America on geology, geophysics, bathymetric and biologic aspects, towards data sampling, acquisition, data analysis and its results, and innovative ways of data access. It also presents the development of processes to map, harmonize and integrate marine data across EEZ boundaries, an impressive example of which is the European EMODnet (European Marine Observation and Data network) initiative. EMODnet assembles scattered and partially hidden marine data into continentally harmonized geospatial data products for public benefit and increasingly within overseas collaboration. The volume also aims to shed light on an evaluation of biological and mineral resources and environmental assessments at continental shelf to slope depths. Western Pacific examples provide excellent case studies for this topic. Mapping of the Ocean Realm is not only for scientific purposes, but also for the people who live by the seas. Communication amongst scientists and multiple stakeholders is essential for living sustainably with the seas. In this volume, the editors encourage keeping dialogues amongst all the stakeholders.
- From Continental Shelf to Slope: Mapping the Oceanic Realm: Introduction / Asch, K., Kitazato, H. and Vallius, H.
- Discovering Europe’s seabed geology: the EMODnet concept of uniform collection and harmonization of marine data / Vallius, H. T. V., Kotilainen, A. T., Asch, K. C., Fiorentino, A., Judge, M., Stewart, H. A. and Pjetursson, B.
- High-resolution geological mapping towards an understanding of post-glacial development and Holocene sedimentation processes in the eastern Gulf of Finland: an EMODnet Geology case study / Ryabchuk, D., Sergeev, A., Zhamoida, V., Budanov, L., Krek, A., Neevin, I., Bubnova, E., Danchenkov, A. and Kovaleva, O.
- A first approach to a Quaternary geomorphological map of the German seas / Breuer, S. and Asch, K.
- Revealing the secrets of Norway’s seafloor – geological mapping within the MAREANO programme and in coastal areas / Bøe, R., Rún Bjarnadóttir, L., Elvenes, S., Dolan, M., Bellec, V., Thorsnes, T., Lepland, A. and Longva, O.
- Mapping Ireland’s coastal, shelf and deep-water environments using illustrative case studies to highlight the impact of seabed mapping on the generation of blue knowledge / O’Toole, R., Judge, M., Sacchetti, F., Furey, T., Mac Craith, E., Sheehan, K., Kelly, S., Cullen, S., McGrath, F. and Monteys, X.
- Integrated thematic geological mapping of the Atlantic Margin of Iberia / Terrinha, P., Medialdea, T., Batista, L., Somoza, L., Magalhães, V., González, F. J., Noiva, J., Lobato, A., Rosa, M., Marino, E., Brito, P., Neres, M. and Ribeiro, C.
- The Pliocene deposits of the Black Sea Shelf east of the Danube River Delta / Gozhik, P. F. and Rokitsky, V. E.
- Integrated geophysical and sedimentological datasets for assessment of offshore borrow areas: the CHIMERA project (western Portuguese Coast) / Mil-Homens, M., Brito, P., Magalhães, V., Rosa, M., Neres, M., Silva, M., Salgueiro, E., Drago, T., Rodrigues, A. I., Guerra, M. T., Gaudêncio, M. J., Almeida, E., Silva, M., Freitas, M., Pinto, C. A., Bandarra, C. and Terrinha, P.
- Collating European data on geological events in submerged areas: examples of correlation and interpretation from Italian seas / Battaglini, L., D’Angelo, S. and Fiorentino, A.
- Faulting within the San Juan–southern Gulf Islands Archipelagos, upper plate deformation of the Cascadia subduction complex / Greene, H. G. and Barrie, J. V.
- Geological mapping of coastal and offshore Japan (by GSJ-AIST): collecting and utilizing the geological information / Arai, K.
- Geological controls on dispersal and deposition of river flood sediments on the Hidaka shelf, Northern Japan / Ikehara, K., Katayama, H., Sagayama, T. and Irino, T.
- Tectonic evolution in the Early to Middle Pleistocene off the east coast of the Boso Peninsula, Japan / Furuyama, S., Sato, T., Arai, K. and Ozaki, M.
- Bent incised valley formed in uplifting shelf facing subduction margin: case study off the eastern coast of the Boso Peninsula, central Japan / Sato, T., Furuyama, S., Komatsubara, J., Ozaki, M. and Yamaguchi, K.
- Application of spatial distribution patterns of multi-elements in geochemical maps for provenance and transfer process of marine sediments in Kyushu, western Japan / Ohta, A., Imai, N., Tachibana, Y. and Ikehara, K.
- Habitat mapping for human well-being: a tool for reducing risk in disaster-prone coastal environments and human communities / Oki, Y., Kitazato, H., Fujii, T. and Yasukawa, S.