+44 1803 865913
Genetic erosion is the loss of genetic diversity within a species. It can happen very quickly, due to catastrophic events, or changes in land use leading to habitat loss. But it can also occur more gradually and remain unnoticed for a long time. One of the main causes of genetic erosion is the replacement of local varieties by modern varieties. Other causes include environmental degradation, urbanization, and land clearing through deforestation and brush fires. In order to conserve biodiversity in plants, it is important to targets three independent levels that include ecosystems, species and genes. Genetic diversity is important to a species' fitness, long-term viability, and ability to adapt to changing environmental conditions. Chapters in Genetic Diversity and Erosion in Plants are written by leading geneticists, molecular biologists and other specialists on relevant topics on genetic erosion and conservation genetic diversity in plants. This divisible set of two volumes deals with a broad spectrum of topics on genetic erosion, and approaches to biodiversity conservation in crop plants and trees. Volume 1 deals with indicators and prevention of genetic erosion, while volume 2 covers genetic diversity and erosion in a number of plants species. These two volumes will also be useful to botanists, biotechnologists, environmentalists, policy makers, conservationists, and NGOs working to manage genetic erosion and biodiversity.
1. Genetic diversity, erosion and conservation in oil palm
2. Genetic diversity, erosion and conservation in rice
3. Genetic diversity and erosion in berries
4. Date palm biodiversity erosion and means to control
5. Genetic diversity and erosion in passiflora
6. Genetic diversity and erosion in rubber
7. Estimating genetic erosion using examples of Picea chihuahuana
8. Genetic erosion and in situ conservation of Lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus L.) landraces in its Mesoamerican diversity center
9. Genetic diversity of Greek Aegilops species using different types of nuclear genome markers
10. Genetic Diversity and erosion in olive
11. Genetic Diversity, Genetic Erosion, Conservation of Genetic Resources and Cultivation of Medicinal Plants
12. Genetic diversity and erosion in cotton
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I ordered a book from NHBS, it reached India within 7 days by standard shipping! Wonderful packing.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985