+44 1803 865913
This books presents the first comprehensive overview of the evolution, geology, geomorphology and dynamics of Holocene coastal barriers in Brazil. Following two introductory chapters outlining the coast geology, climate, oceanography, general setting and dynamics, each subsequent chapter deals with the evolution and development of Holocene barriers in each state covering 9,200 kilometers of coastline.
The examples cover all tidal types from micro to macro tidal, all wave and wind energies, and virtually every barrier type ranging from barrier islands, spits, strandplains, attached, receded and prograded barriers, climbing, clifftop and falling dunefield barriers and the largest transgressive dunefield barriers in the world. The book has been written by experts in Brazil, and provides a wealth of information previously inaccessible to scientists, students and managers.
From the reviews: "A long period in which Brazil's coastal geology was largely ignored by the international community, now has come to an end with ! fascinating studies that comprehensively documents coastal dynamics, geomorphology and Holocene evolution of Brazil's coast. ! The book has been written by thirty contributing authors, all experts in Brazil ! shows from the extensive lists of up to date references that follow each chapter, and without doubt fills a gap in the library of many geological department. ! the book is wholeheartedly recommended." (T. J. A. Reijers, Geo-Brief, October, 2009)
1. Coastal Barriers - An Introduction
2. The Coastal Zone of Brazil
3. The Holocene Coastal Barriers of Rio Grande do Sul
4. The Holocene Barrier Systems of the Santa Catarina Coast,
5. The Holocene Barrier Systems of Paranagu and Northern
Santa Catarina Coasts, Southern Brazil
6. Sedimentology and Morphological Evolution of the Ilha
Comprida Barrier System, Southern Sao Paulo Coast
7. Barrier and Beach Ridge Systems of the Rio de Janeiro Coast
8. The Holocene Barrier Strandplains of the State of Bahia
9. The Mesotidal Barriers of Rio Grande do Norte
10. The Holocene Barriers of Maranhao, Piau and Cear States,
11. The Subsiding Macrotidal Barrier Estuarine System
of the Eastern Amazon Coast, Northern Brazil
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I am not an easy shopper to please, but NHBS goes beyond my highest expectations in every way
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985