The Handbook of Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering delivers a comprehensive overview of the latest research and practical developments in the rapidly evolving fields of ecological and ecosystem engineering. Beginning with an introduction to the theory and practice of ecological engineering and ecosystem services, the book addresses a wide variety of issues central to the restoration and remediation of ecological environments.
The book contains fulsome analyses of the restoration, rehabilitation, conservation, sustainability, reconstruction, remediation, and reclamation of ecosystems using ecological engineering techniques. Case studies are used to highlight practical applications of the theory discussed within.
The material in the Handbook of Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering is particularly relevant at a time when the human population is dramatically rising, and the exploitation of natural resources is putting increasing pressure on planetary ecosystems. The book demonstrates how modern scientific ecology can contribute to the greening of the environment through the inclusion of concrete examples of successful applied management.
The book also includes:
- A thorough discussion of ecological engineering and ecosystem services theory and practice
- An exploration of ecological and ecosystem engineering economic and environmental revitalization
- An examination of the role of soil meso and macrofauna indicators for restoration assessment success in a rehabilitated mine site
- A treatment of the mitigation of urban environmental issues by applying ecological and ecosystem engineering
- A discussion of soil fertility restoration theory and practice
A thorough discussion of ecological engineering and ecosystem services theory and practice An exploration of ecological and ecosystem engineering economic and environmental revitalization An examination of the role of soil meso and macrofauna indicators for restoration assessment success in a rehabilitated mine site A treatment of the mitigation of urban environmental issues by applying ecological and ecosystem engineering A discussion of soil fertility restoration theory and practice
Perfect for academic researchers, industry scientists, and environmental engineers working in the fields of ecological engineering, environmental science, and biotechnology, the Handbook of Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering also belongs on Handbook of Ecological and Ecosystem Engineeringshelves of environmental regulators and consultants, policy makers, and employees of non-governmental organizations working on sustainable development.
List of Contributors xvii
1. Ecological Engineering and Ecosystem Services – Theory and Practice 1 / Fábio Carvalho Nunes, Thaís de Marchi Soares, Lander de Jesus Alves, José Rodrigues de Souza Filho, Cláudia Cseko Nolasco de Carvalho, and Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad
2. Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering for Economic-Environmental Revitalization 25 / Bruno Barbosa and Ana Luísa Fernando
3. Environmental Issues and Priority Areas for Ecological Engineering Initiatives 47 / Sanchayita Rajkhowa, Nazmun Ara Khanom, and Jyotirmoy Sarma
4. Soil Meso- and Macrofauna Indicators of Restoration Success in Rehabilitated Mine Sites 67 / Sara Pelaez Sanchez, Ronan Courtney, and Olaf Schmidt
5. Ecological Engineering and Green Infrastructure in Mitigating Emerging Urban Environmental Threats 95 / Florin-Constantin Mihai, Petra Schneider, and Mihail Eva
6. Urban Environmental Issues and Mitigation by Applying Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering 123 / Shailendra Yadav, Suvha Lama, and Atya Kapley
7. Soil Fertility Restoration, Theory and Practice 147 / V. Matichenkov and E. Bocharnikova
8. Extracellular Soil Enzymes Act as Moderators to Restore Carbon in Soil Habitats 159 / Rupinder Kaur and Anand Narain Singh
9. Ecological Engineering for Solid Waste Segregation, Reduction, and Resource Recovery – A Contextual Analysis in Brazil 183 / Luís P. Azevedo, Fernando G. da Silva Araújo, Carlos A.F. Lagarinhos, Jorge A.S. Tenório, Denise C.R. Espinosa, and Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad
10. Urban Floods and Mitigation by Applying Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering 201 / Jyotirmoy Sarma and Sanchayita Rajkhowa
11. Ecological Engineering and Restoration of Mine Ecosystems 219 / Marcin Pietrzykowski
12. Ecological Restoration of Abandoned Mine Land: Theory to Practice 231 / Jitendra Ahirwal and Subodh Kumar Maiti
13. Wetland, Watershed, and Lake Restoration 247 / Bhupinder Dhir
14. Restoration of Riverine Health: An Ecohydrological Approach –Flow Regimes and Aquatic Biodiversity 261 / S.P. Biswas
15. Ecosystem Services of the Phoomdi Islands of Loktak, a Dying Ramsar Site in Northeast India 279 / Sijagurumayum Geetanjali Devi, Niteshwori Thongam, Maibam Dhanaraj Meitei, and Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad
16. The Application of Reefs in Shoreline Protection 295 / Anu Joy and Anu Gopinath
17. Mangroves, as Shore Engineers, Are Nature-Based Solutions for Ensuring Coastal Protection 317 / Ajanta Dey, J.R.B. Alfred, Biswajit Roy Chowdhury, and Udo Censkowsky
18. Forest Degradation Prevention Through Nature-Based Solutions: An Indian Perspective 333 / Purabi Saikia, Akash Nag, Rima Kumari, Amit Kumar, and M.L. Khan
19. Restoring Ecosystem Services of Degraded Forests in a Changing Climate 353 / Smita Chaudhry, Gagan Preet Singh Sidhu, and Rashmi Paliwal
20. Forest Degradation Prevention 377 / Marta Jaskulak and Anna Grobelak
21. Use of Plants for Air Quality Improvement 391 / Richa Rai, Madhoolika Agrawal, and S.B. Agrawal
22. Phylloremediation for Mitigating Air Pollution 405 / Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad
23. Green Belts for Sustainable Improvement of Air Quality 423 / S.B. Chaphekar, R.P. Madav, and Seemaa S. Ghate
24. Air Quality Improvement Using Phytodiversity and Plant Architecture 437 / D.N. Magana-Arachchi and R.P. Wanigatunge
25. Information Explosion in Digital Ecosystems and Their Management 451 / Chanchal Kumar Mitra and Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad
26. Nanotechnology in Ecological and Ecosystem Engineering 469 / L.R. Sendanayake, H.A.D.B. Amarasiri, and Nadeesh M. Adassooriya
Majeti Narasimha Vara Prasad is an Emeritus Professor in the School of Life Sciences at the University of Hyderabad in India. He has published over 216 papers in scholarly journals and edited 34 books. He received his doctorate in Botany from Lucknow University, India in 1979.