+44 1803 865913
Heliophysics is a developing scientific discipline integrating studies of the Sun's variability, the surrounding heliosphere, and climatic environments. Over the past few centuries, our understanding of how the Sun drives space weather and climate on the Earth and other planets has advanced at an ever-increasing rate. This volume, the first in this series of three heliophysics texts, integrates such diverse topics for the first time as a coherent intellectual discipline. It emphasises the physical processes coupling the Sun and Earth, allowing insights into the interaction of the solar wind and radiation with the Earth's magnetic field, atmosphere and climate system. It provides a core resource for advanced undergraduates and graduates, and also constitutes a foundational reference for researchers in heliophysics, astrophysics, plasma physics, space physics, solar physics, aeronomy, space weather, planetary science and climate science.
Intermixed with the science are many useful examples to provide context for the physics along with discussions on model limitations, contemporary challenges, and history. This reviewer greatly enjoyed the weaving of Kristian Birkeland's historic research some 100 years ago into the chapter on stellar winds. This work dramatically illustrates the complex interplay of electromagnetism, plasmas, and gravity within a wide array of space plasma environments in our local cosmos. Essential.
1. Prologue Carolus J. Schrijver and George L. Siscoe
2. Introduction to heliophysics Thomas J. Bogdan
3. Creation and destruction of magnetic field Matthias Rempel
4. Magnetic field topology Dana W. Longcope
5. Magnetic reconnection Terry G. Forbes
6. Structures of the magnetic field Mark B. Moldwin, George L. Siscoe and Carolus J. Schrijver
7. Turbulence in space plasmas Charles W. Smith
8. The solar atmosphere Viggo H. Hansteen
9. Stellar winds and magnetic fields Viggo H. Hansteen
10. Fundamentals of planetary magnetospheres Vytenis M. Vasyliunas
11. Solar-wind magnetosphere coupling: an MHD perspective Frank R. Toffoletto and George L. Siscoe
12. On the ionosphere and chromosphere Tim Fuller-Rowell and Carolus J. Schrijver
13. Comparative planetary environments Frances Bagenal
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I'm telling all my friends about your site. We're all into conservation and the environment and the variety of offerings is really impressive.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985