This Privacy Notice covers all of the ways in which your personal data is collected and managed by NHBS. It also explains how the data is used, the measures we take to keep it safe, and what your rights are as one of our customers
The following information should answer most of the questions you have, but if you would like to contact us about anything further, please do get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information in this notice may be updated occasionally, but we will always notify you if we make any significant changes.
Throughout this notice, the terms ‘we’ and ‘us’ refer to NHBS Ltd. The term ‘customer’ refers to any individual or organisation that has purchased goods or services from us at any time in the past.
We may collect data from individuals who browse www.nhbs.com, sign up to our mailing list or interact with us via phone, email, fax, social media or in person.
2. About NHBS
NHBS started life as the Natural History Book Service in London in 1985 with a paper catalogue of around 500 ornithology books. Since this time we have moved our business to www.nhbs.com where we showcase and sell our range of books, equipment, gifts and magazines.
In 2011 NHBS acquired Alana Ecology, the UK’s foremost supplier of ecology and conservation equipment. Following this, in 2016, we also took over EFE & GB Nets which specialised in the manufacture of high-quality entomology and aquatic ecology tools. These two companies are now managed entirely under the NHBS brand. NHBS also publishes the magazines British Wildlife and Conservation Land Management
3. The legal basis for data collection
There are several reasons why a company such as NHBS may legally collect and process personal data. These include:
Consent: This covers all instances whereby you give your consent for data to be collected. For example, this may occur if you tick a box to indicate that you would like to receive an email newsletter.
Contractual obligations: This includes situations where we are obliged to collect personal data in order to carry out contractual obligations. For example, for us to process an order that you have placed on our website, we will need to collect your delivery and billing addresses, as well as your payment information.
Legal compliance: In rare situations we are obliged to collect data for legal reasons. An example of this is if we are subject to fraudulent activity, then data may need to be provided to the appropriate legal authority or law enforcement body.
Legitimate interest:This includes all situations whereby we collect data that is reasonably required for the running of our business. For example, we collect and analyse the shopping history and trends of our customers to make sure that our stock levels are sufficient and to identify the need for new products. We will never collect, use or sell information that could impact your rights, freedom or interests in any way.
4. When do we collect personal data from you?
- When you create an account with us, either online or by phone, email or fax.
- When you visit www.nhbs.com and use your account to buy products.
- When you place an order with us over the phone or via email or fax.
- When you purchase items from us in person at our warehouse in Totnes or at one of our conference stalls.
- When you contact us by email with a query or complaint.
- When you enter a prize draw or competition at a conference attended by NHBS.
- When you comment on or review our products.
- When you have given a third-party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When you purchase eDNA kits from NatureMetrics which are dispatched by NHBS.
- When you have been the recipient of a gift subscription of British Wildlife magazine.
- When you use the car park at our offices in Totnes, our CCTV systems may record your image during your visit.
5. What kinds of personal data do we collect?
- If you have an account with us: your name, billing and delivery addresses, orders and receipts, email address and telephone number. For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- We never store your credit card information. Your credit card information is securely processed by a trusted third-party and never passes through our servers.
- Copies of documents you provide to us. This includes items such as ringing licenses which we request prior to the sale of mist nets.
- Details of your visits to our website.
- Details of your shopping history.
- Your comments and product reviews.
- To deliver the best possible experience while you are browsing and ordering from our website, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
- Your phone calls with NHBS may be recorded where we have a legitimate interest in the content of the call, as well as for security and training purposes.
6. Why do we need this data and how do we use it?
One of our main goals as an online retailer is to ensure that our customers have the best possible experience when using our website or interacting with us by phone, email or in person. One way that we do this is to use the data we collect to tailor our services, promotions and products effectively. This type of data collection and usage is covered by data privacy laws as a ‘legitimate interest’ as understanding our customers is vital to us operating a successful business.
Here is a breakdown of the ways in which we use your data:
- To process orders that you place at www.nhbs.com, by phone / email, in person at our premises in Totnes or at a conference. If we don’t collect data such as billing and delivery addresses and payment details at this time, we won’t be able to bill you for your order or deliver it to you. Some of these details may also need to be passed to a third-party. For example, your delivery address will need to be provided to our courier so that they can deliver your items. See the section below titled ‘Who do we share your personal data with?’ for more information about this.
- To respond to queries, complaints and refund/return requests. We use the data you provide to us to efficiently respond to any queries you have and to make sure that you can return any items to us for replacement or a refund. Copies of the email conversations we have with you are also stored so that, should we need to refer to them in the future, we can do so easily. We believe this helps us to interact with you more efficiently and to resolve any problems more quickly.
- To protect your account and our business from fraud or other illegal activities. To do this we use your personal data to safeguard your account and we also monitor your browsing activity to make sure our website is as secure as possible. By checking your password when you log in to your account and monitoring IP addresses to identify potentially fraudulent logins from unexpected locations, we can minimise the risk of your account being used fraudulently.
- We use your contact information, along with data about your shopping preferences and previous transactions, to contact you about products and promotions with your permission. You are free to opt out of hearing from us by any or all channels at any time. Please be aware, however, that if you opt out of all email marketing, you will still continue to receive order confirmation emails, dispatch notes and invoices from us.
- To administer any prize draws or competitions that you may have entered at a conference attended by NHBS.
7. How do we protect your personal data?
Protecting your personal data is extremely important to us, and we take the utmost care to ensure that it is safe at all times.
All transactional areas of our website are secured using https technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected and internet traffic to www.nhbs.com is secured by SSL encryption.
Our system is regularly monitored for potential vulnerabilities and we carry out penetration testing as a way of determining the best methods of maximising our security.
8. Who do we share your personal data with?
Sometimes it is necessary for us to share your data with trusted third parties. For example, when dispatching your order we have to provide your delivery address details to a courier. In these situations we will only ever provide the minimum amount of information required for them to perform the service they are contracted for.
We will never sell your personal data or share it with third-parties who are not compliant with UK/EU data protection legislation, unless it is a legal requirement (e.g. to law enforcement bodies for fraud prevention).
Examples of organisations with which we might share your personal data are:
- Delivery companies such as Royal Mail, DPD and TNT. These delivery companies are provided with your name, delivery address and, if required, a contact telephone number and/or email address. Your contact details will only be used by them to update you about your delivery and to provide tracking information.
- We sometimes dispatch orders directly from third-party warehouses. In this situation we need to provide the third-party with your name, address and contact details for them to deliver the products to you. We have a strict agreement with all of these companies that your details are never to be used for their own marketing or for any other purposes.
- Our email marketing platform, Mailchimp. So that we can send carefully tailored marketing emails, we provide Mailchimp with contact email addresses of customers who have subscribed to our newsletters and emails.
- NHBS partners with several trusts, societies, or other institutions which have a conservation, ecology or natural history mission and purpose, and we provide shop services on their behalf. In return, NHBS share the name, address and email address of customers who enter the NHBS shop via the dedicated partnership page with the trust, society or other institution. You can find a list of them here.
9. What are your rights?
You have the right to request the following things:
- Details of all of the personal data we hold about you.
- The correction of any personal data that we currently possess, should you find this to be incorrect or incomplete.
- That we stop using any or all of your personal data as soon as you request us to do so. Even if you have previously given us consent to use your personal data, you may withdraw this consent at any time.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing through email and/or post. The easiest way to do this is to click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any of the marketing emails that we send to you. This will unsubscribe you from all of our emails. Alternatively, by clicking ‘Update my subscription preferences’, you can choose the specific emails that you would like to receive from us. To ensure that you do not continue to receive our catalogues by post, please email email@example.com.
NHBS is a data controller and our contact is John Eskilsson, NHBS, 1-6 The Stables, Ford Road, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5LE, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have concerns that your data has been handled inappropriately or you are unhappy with how we have dealt with any requests regarding your personal data, you can lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Contact them by calling 0303 123 1113 or visit their website at www.ico.org.uk/concerns.
10. International customers
By shopping with us or otherwise providing your personal data to us, you expressly consent to us processing your personal data. You have the right to ask us not to process your data in certain ways and, if you do so, we will respect your wishes.
Sometimes we will need to transfer your personal data between countries to enable us to deliver the products that you have purchased from us. As part of our day-to-day business, we may transfer your personal data from your country of residence to ourselves and to third parties located in the UK or elsewhere.
By dealing with us, you are giving your consent to this overseas use, transfer and disclosure of your personal data outside your country of residence for our ordinary business purposes. This includes storage of your personal data on servers in the UK.
We’ll ensure that reasonable steps are taken to prevent third parties outside your country of residence using your personal data in any way that’s not set out in this Privacy Notice. We’ll also make sure we adequately protect the confidentiality and privacy of your personal data.
NHBS Terms and Conditions
The contract between us
a. Any contract for purchases made through this website will be with NHBS Ltd, whose registered office is situated at: 1-6 The Stables, Ford Road, Totnes, Devon, United Kingdom, TQ9 5LE. Company registration number 1875194.
b. On receipt of your online order, either with valid credit card details or using your NHBS credit account, the contract is considered formed. Payment is not taken until the point of dispatch of your goods from our warehouse. An automatic confirmation that your order has been received will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provide on the online registration form. When your order reaches our internal system, a full acknowledgement of order will be sent by email detailing prices and estimated fulfilment times (NHBS does not hold stock of every item advertised as in print on its website). When each dispatch is made, a notification e-mail will be sent. NHBS’ acceptance of your order brings into existence a legally binding contract between us on these terms.
c. NHBS is entitled to withdraw from any contract in the case of obvious errors or inaccuracies regarding the goods appearing on our website. NHBS cannot guarantee to supply any advertised item since, if stock is not already held, it may turn out to be unavailable from the publisher.
Withdrawal by you from the contract
If you are an individual and are not buying goods on behalf of a business, there are certain circumstances in which you may withdraw from the contract and these are set out here. This right to withdraw does not apply to business buyers.
a. You may withdraw from this contract by notifying NHBS at any time that goods as yet undispatched are not required or, if you have already received the goods, by returning them within seven days of receipt. You do not need to give NHBS any reason for withdrawing your order nor will you have to pay any penalty.
b. The only circumstances in which you cannot withdraw your order is where you have taken the goods you have ordered out of the sealed package they are in e.g. DVDs etc. (this does not apply if the goods turned out to be faulty), or have caused damage to the goods beyond a condition in which they could be resold.
c. To withdraw your order after receipt of goods, you must notify NHBS via the process stated in the Returning Items area of our Help section on this website. To cancel your undispatched order, simply contact NHBS Customer Services.
d. If goods are to be returned, any sum debited by NHBS from your credit card will be re-credited to your account on receipt of the goods by NHBS.
Payment terms for credit accounts
If you have a credit account with NHBS, payment terms will be 30 days from date of invoice - unless otherwise agreed by us in writing. These terms override all and any other terms quoted by the customer on purchase orders or during order confirmation. Placing a sales order with us by any method confirms your acceptance of these terms.
All prices shown on the NHBS website and in email or print catalogues and other NHBS promotional materials are in £=GBP=Pounds Sterling. In some places approximate US$ and Euro equivalents are displayed, for guidance only: goods will always be dispatched and charged at the sterling price. The $/€ exchange rate on the date of dispatch may vary from that used to calculate the equivalent. Prices are closely monitored and reviewed on a regular basis, using data obtained from suppliers, and from other industry sources. However, price increases by publishers, exchange rate fluctuations and other unpredictable factors prevent us from being able to guarantee supply at announced prices. Prices of all items described on the NHBS website are therefore subject to change without notice.
Price increases and orders
Should prices for items ordered increase, for customers paying in advance by cheque or bank transfer, any difference between the amount paid and the amount due will be billed as a supplementary amount due on completion of order. If you pay by credit or charge card we will charge your card for the full amount due (including any price increases) as dispatches are made. We normally debit your card for the full shipping cost of your order with the first dispatch (higher value overseas orders are charged a percentage with each dispatch). NHBS reserves the right to debit credit cards in settlement or part-settlement of outstanding accounts. If you are using an NHBS credit account, we will bill you for the full amount due (including any price increases) as dispatches are made.
NHBS Credit Notes
If you pay in advance by cheque or bank transfer, and goods which you order have become unavailable, we will notify you of the reason for non-supply (e.g. title out of print, publication cancelled) and at the same time will issue you with an NHBS Credit Note to the value of unavailable goods. NHBS Credit Notes will also be issued where the decrease in the price of an item results in credit in your favour. NHBS Credit Notes may be used as advance payment for a new order, in settlement of an outstanding account or returned to NHBS at any time for a full cash refund. NHBS reserves the right to use NHBS Credit Notes in settlement or part-settlement of outstanding accounts.
Every effort is made to provide accurate information on the availability of all items listed on nhbs.com, in emails, catalogues or other promotional material. Where an item is known to be out of print, this is stated; publication and release dates provided to us by publishers are also given, and are updated whenever possible. However, it is an inescapable part of the book business that titles suddenly go out of print, or that titles due for publication are sometimes delayed for considerable periods of time. These are matters outside our control, and we cannot therefore guarantee the availability of any item listed on nhbs.com.
Proformas and quotations
We know that budgetary and other financial considerations make it imperative for some customers to receive proforma invoices or quotations before proceeding to purchase, and we are therefore pleased to provide this documentation, if requested. But because of the difficulties inherent in predicting prices, particularly for forthcoming or temporarily unavailable items, we cannot guarantee to supply items at the prices stated in our proformas and quotations. If a customer accepts our proforma or quotation and proceeds to order, we will bill any additional amounts arising from price increases on completion of the order.
Competitive tendering and supply contracts
In some cases, libraries and other organisations need to acquire materials as part of a contractual or competitive tendering process involving governmental or donor funds. In these instances NHBS is always interested in being invited to participate in the tender, and may be prepared to waive our standard conditions of sale in favour of the rules of the tender process. If you would like NHBS to tender, please address all communications to the Tenders Department, enclosing all relevant documentation. Tenders are not contractually binding if the tender documents have not been signed by an authorised NHBS signatory.
If you are ordering goods for delivery outside of the EU, please note that your consignment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once the goods reach the country of destination. Any such charges levied in relation to customs clearance must be borne by you. It is accepted by you that NHBS has no control over additional charges in relation to customs clearance. NHBS recommend that you check with your local customs officials or post office for more information regarding importation taxes/duties that may be applicable to your online order.
NHBS will use reliable national and international carrier services to deliver goods to the address given. All deliveries are subject to the terms and conditions of the carrier services.
a. If the goods NHBS delivers are not what you ordered or are damaged or defective, or the delivery is of an incorrect quantity, NHBS shall have no liability to you unless you notify NHBS within fourteen working days of the delivery of goods in question.
b. If the dispatch of your order by NHBS is delayed or if, once dispatched, it is delayed or lost in transit, NHBS will not be liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss or damage. NHBS shall have no liability to pay any money to you by way of compensation for indirect or consequential loss or damage. Once satisfied that goods have been irrecoverably lost in transit, NHBS will take steps to provide replacements.
c. NHBS shall not be liable for any loss or damage sustained or incurred by the customer or any third party resulting from any fault in the products supplied.
d. Nothing in this condition is intended to limit any rights you might have as a consumer under applicable local law that may not be excluded nor in any way to exclude or limit NHBS liability to you for any death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
Nothing in this contract creates any right which is enforceable by any person who is not a party to the contract.
NHBS shall have no liability to you for any failure to deliver goods you have ordered or any delay in doing so or for any damage or defect to goods delivered that is caused by any event or circumstance beyond its reasonable control.
NHBS operate a complaints handling procedure which is used to try to resolve disputes when they first arise. If you have a complaint, please contact NHBS Customer Services.
The contract between us shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with English law, and the English courts shall have jurisdiction to resolve any disputes between us.
These terms and conditions, together with the current NHBS website prices, delivery details and contact details set out the whole of our agreement relating to the supply of the goods to you by NHBS. These terms and conditions cannot be varied except in writing signed by a director of NHBS. In particular nothing said by any member of staff on behalf of NHBS should be understood as a variation of these terms and conditions or as an authorised representation about the nature or quality of any goods offered for sale by NHBS. NHBS shall have no liability for any such representation being untrue or misleading.
The nature of Internet communications means that your communications may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and delays. NHBS shall not be responsible for any detrimental reliance you place on this website or its contents.
NHBS is providing this site and its contents (including any downloadable data or software) on an as is basis and makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to this site or its contents and disclaims all such representations and warranties, whether express or implied, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law. In addition, NHBS makes no representations or warranties about the accuracy, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose of the information and related graphics published in this site or that any software or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or other harmful components.
The information contained in this site may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. All liability of NHBS howsoever arising for any such inaccuracies or errors is expressly excluded to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law. Neither NHBS nor any of its Directors, employees or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this site in any way. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties.
Our website may contain hyperlinks. These hyperlinks connect you to sites of other organisations which are not our responsibility. We have no control over any of the information you can access via these other websites. Therefore, no mention of any organisation, company or individual to which our website is linked shall imply any approval or warranty as to the standing and capability of any such organisations, company or individual on the part of NHBS.
All design, text, graphics and the selection or arrangement thereof are the copyright of NHBS - Copyright © 2014 NHBS Ltd. The material may only be copied electronically or otherwise for the sole purpose of placing an order with NHBS Ltd. Any other use, modification, reproduction, distribution, or republication of the material is strictly prohibited.
NHBS and the ‘Hoopoe’ logo are registered trade marks belonging to NHBS. All other trade marks, product names and company names or logos used in this site are the property of their respective owners. No permission is given by NHBS in respect of the use of its or any such other trade marks, product names, titles or logos and such use may constitute an infringement of the holder’s rights.