+44 1803 865913
By: Lise Korsten(Author), Ameliat Lombard(Author), Dharini Sivakumar(Author), Rosa Rolle(Author), Hester Vermulen(Author)
24 pages, illustrations
Horticultural Chain Management for Eastern and Southern Africa is a two-volume work designed to help trainers develop suitable materials to assist small farmers and producers to supply high quality horticultural produce for sale. This Practical Manual complements the theoretical manual and provides the trainer with simple practical tasks that reinforce and enhance comprehension of theoretical training. The whole package is structured to provide the trainer with technical background and reference materials that allow customised training in accordance with the needs of the target group to be trained.
The companion volume is the Theoretical Manual.
I. Introduction to the Practical Manual
II. Meeting the Consumer
1. Meeting the Consumer and Observing Consumer Behaviour
III. Field Visits
1. Visit to a Fresh Produce Market
2. Visit to an Orchard
3. Visit to a Pack House
1. Introduction to Micro-organisms
2. Setting up a Basic Microbiology Laboratory
3. Demonstrating the Omnipresence of Micro-organisms
V. Detection of Post-Harvest Pathogens
1. Detection of Yeasts and Moulds
2. Detection of Fungi
VI. Monitoring Sources of Contamination during Post-Harvest Operations
1. Water as a Source of Produce Contamination
2. Monitoring the Hygiene of Surfaces
3. Demonstrating the Importance of Effective Hand Washing
VII. Assessment of Fresh Produce Quality
1. Determination of Total Soluble Solids (TSS) using a Refractometer
2. Measurement of Fruit Firmness using a Penetrometer
3. Measurement of pH
4. Measurement of Fruit Acids by Titration and Calculation of the Total Soluble Solids (TSS) to Acid Ratio
5. Impact of Handling
6. Impact of Ineffective Cold Chain Management
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Lise Korsten is Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Ms A Lombard works at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. Dr. Dharini Sivakumar works at the Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Dr. Rosa Rolle is an Agricultural Industries Officer in the Agricultural Support Systems Division of the FAO, in Rome, Italy. Ms. Hester Vermulen works at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
Your orders support book donation projects
The shipment arrived, beautifully packaged, in perfect condition. Thanks for your exceptional service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985