+44 1803 865913
Social and economic systems worldwide are changing rapidly. These changes are accompanied by an increasing demand for natural resources, including land, water, minerals, energy sources, food and timber. Today's foremost challenge lies in finding the tools to address the complexity of these interrelated trends, and in implementing strategies to balance environmental and socioeconomic needs. Industrial Agriculture and Ape Conservation contributes to this search by presenting original research, topical case studies and emerging best practice from a range of key stakeholders to examine the interface between ape conservation and industrial agriculture. In assessing the drivers behind agricultural expansion and land investments, it sheds light on governance challenges and legal frameworks that shape land use.
Intended for policy makers, industry experts, decision makers, academics, researchers and NGOs, it is designed to inform debate, practice and policy to help reconcile the goals of industrial agriculture with those of ape conservation and welfare, and social and economic development.
Notes to readers
Part I. Industrial Agriculture and Ape Conservation
1. Economic development and conservation of biodiversity: understanding the interface of ape conservation and industrial agriculture
2. Encroaching on ape habitat: deforestation and industrial agriculture in Cameroon, Liberia and on Borneo
3. From habitat to plantation: causes of conversion in sub-Saharan Africa
4. Legal frameworks at the interface between industrial agriculture and ape conservation
5. From process to impact of a voluntary standard: the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil
6. Impacts of industrial agriculture on ape ecology
Part II. The Status and Welfare of Great Apes and Gibbons
7. Ape populations over time: case studies from Gombe, Mount Halimun Salak, Sabangau and Wamba
8. The status of captive apes
Acronyms and abbreviations
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
my first port of call for ordering books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985