563 pages, colour photos, colour illustrations, tables
Introduction to Marine Biology sparks curiosity about the marine world and provides an understanding of the process of science. Taking an ecological approach and intended for non-science majors, the text provides succinct coverage of the content while the photos and art clearly illustrate key concepts. Studying is made easy with phonetic pronunciations, a running glossary of key terms, end-of-chapter questions, and suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter. The open look and feel of Introduction to Marine Biology and the enhanced art program convey the beauty and awe of life in the ocean. Twenty spectacular photos open the chapters, piquing the motivation and attention of students, and over 60 photos and pieces of art are new or redesigned.
New to this edition:
- Strengthened coverage of Ecology: Introduction to Marine Biology effectively integrates the theme of ecology throughout each chapter. The new boxed feature, the "Impact Bubble," presents current events and topics regarding the human impact on the marine environment.
- Expanded learning tools: The chapter opening "Have You Wondered?" questions are now revisited in the end of chapter material. The "Running Glossary" now defines all glossary terms where they appear in the text. The "In Summary" boxes are bulleted to make key points even clearer and include references to the "Have You Wondered?" questions. The "Questions for Review" include new matching questions.
- Updated Art and Photo Program: Over 60 photos and pieces of art are new or redesigned, which enhance the student's learning experience. Twenty spectacular photos open each chapter, piquing the motivation and attention of students.
- Updated Design: The open look and feel of Introduction to Marine Biology fourth edition and the enhanced art program convey the beauty and awe of life in the ocean. The new design offers more variety to every page and has enabled many photos and illustrations to be resized for more clarity.
PART I: THE OCEAN ENVIRONMENT
1. Science and Marine Biology
2. Fundamentals of Ecology
3. Geology of the Ocean
4. 4. Water, Waves, and Tides
PART II: MARINE ORGANISMS
5. Biological Concepts
6. Marine Microbes
7. Multicellular Primary Producers
8. Lower Invertebrates
9. Higher Invertebrates
10. Marine Fishes
11. Marine Reptiles and Birds
12. Marine Mammals
PART III: MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
13. Intertidal Communities
15. Coral Reef Communities
16. Continental Shelves and Neritic Zone
17. The Open Sea
18. Life in the Ocean's Depths
PART IV: HUMANS AND THE SEA
19. Harvesting the Ocean's Resources
20. Oceans in Jeopardy
Answers to Multiple Choice Questions
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!