This special issue contains a range of papers presented at the Fourth International Conference on Land Degradation, Cartagena, Murcia, Spain, September 12nd-17th , 2004. The main topics include:
1) Geographical perspectives.
2) Historical and archaeological perspectives of soil degradation.
3) Linkages with global issues.
4) Quantifying land resources stresses.
5) Managing land quality to reduce degradation.
6) Human impact on land degradation.
7) Policy and legal framework.
8) Rehabilitation of degraded land.