Identification of large-volume, short-duration mafic magmatic events of intraplate affinity in both continental and oceanic settings on the Earth and other planets provides invaluable clues for understanding several vital geological issues of current concern. Of particular importance is understanding the assembly and dispersal of supercontinents through Earth's history, dramatic climate change events including mass extinctions, and processes that have produced a wide range of large igneous province (LIP)-related resources, such as Ni–Cu–PGE, Au, U, base metals and petroleum. This volume comprises 21 contributions on the latest developments and new information on LIPs and their plumbing systems and presents methodical studies on different components of LIP plumbing systems. These articles are especially helpful in understanding continental break-up events, regional domal uplift and a variety of metallogenic systems, as well as the temporal and spatial distribution of LIPs, their origin and their likely links to mantle plumes/superplumes.
Characteristics of LIPs and their plumbing systems
- An overview of the plumbing systems of large igneous provinces and their significance / Srivastava, R. K., Ernst, R. E., Buchan, K. L. and de Kock, M.
- Highly magmatic break-up LIP centres: revisiting the East Greenland volcanic rifted margin / Klausen, M. B.
Precambrian LIPs and their plumbing systems
- The geochemical evolution of the Logan Igneous Suite, Ontario, Canada: new insights from the Logan Basin and implications for the genesis of the Mesoproterozoic Midcontinent Rift System / Cundari, R., Hollings, P., Smyk, M. and Carl, C.
- Geochemical, petrographic, and stratigraphic analyses of the Portage Lake Volcanics of the Keweenawan CFBP: implications for the evolution of main stage volcanism in continental flood basalt provinces / Davis, W. R., Collins, M. A., Rooney, T. O., Brown, E. L., Stein, C. A., Stein, S. and Moucha, R.
- Relicts of Paleoproterozoic LIPs in the Belomorian Province, eastern Fennoscandian Shield: barcode reconstruction for a deeply eroded collisional orogen / Stepanova, A. V., Stepanov, V. S., Larionov, A. N., Salnikova, E. B., Samsonov, A. V., Azimov, P., Egorova, S. V., Babarina, I. I., Larionova, Y. O., Sukhanova, M. A., Kervinen, A. V. and Maksimov, O. A.
- Spatiotemporal evolution of large igneous provinces and their related rifts in the North China craton: role in craton breakup and destruction / Peng, P., Xu, H., Wang, C., Su, X., Sun, F. and Wang, X.
- Geochemical and palaeomagnetic characteristics of the Vestfold Hills mafic dykes in the Prydz Bay region: implications of a Paleoproterozoic connection between East Antarctica and Proto-India / Pandit, M. K., Pivarunas, A. and Meert, J. G.
- Existence of the Dharwar–Bastar–Singhbhum (DHABASI) megacraton since 3.35 Ga: constraints from the Precambrian large igneous province record / Srivastava, R. K., Ernst, R. E., Söderlund, U., Samal, A. K., Pandey, O. P. and Gautam, G. C.
- Petrogenesis and tectonic settings of Proterozoic mafic magmatism from the northern Indian Shield and the Himalaya: possible role for interaction of mantle plume with the subcontinental lithospheric mantle / Ahmad, T., Yousuf, I. and Chauhan, H.
Phanerozoic LIPs and their plumbing systems
- Petrogenesis of silicic rocks from the Phan Si Pan–Tu Le region of the Emeishan large igneous province, northwestern Vietnam / Pham, T. T., Shellnutt, J. G., Tran, T.-A. , Denyszyn, S. W. and Iizuka, Y.
- The age and palaeomagnetism of Jurassic dykes, western Dronning Maud Land: implications for Gondwana breakup / Morake, M. A., O’Kennedy, J. N. F., Knoper, M. W., de Kock, M., Kramers, J. D., Grantham, G. H., Belyanin, G. and Elburg, M. A.
- Using a ‘speedy’ unspiked K–Ar methodology to investigate age patterns in giant mafic dyke swarms / Oliveira, A. L., Hollanda, M. H. B. M., Siqueira, R. and Macêdo Filho, A. A.
- Magmatism in the Siang window of the Eastern Himalayan Syntaxis, NE India: a vestige of Kerguelen mantle plume activity / Singh, A. K., Oinam, G., Chung, S.-L., Bikramaditya, R. K., Lee, H.-Y. and Joshi, M.
- Constraints on duration, age and migration of the feeder systems of the Madagascan Flood Basalt Province from high-precision 40Ar/39Ar chronology / Cucciniello, C., Morra, V., Melluso, L. and Jourdan, F.
- Morphological types in the Deccan Volcanic Province, India: implications for emplacement dynamics of continental flood basalts / Kale, V. S., Dole, G., Patil Pillai, S., Chatterjee, P. and Bodas, M.
- Chemical stratigraphy of subsurface lava flows from the Koyna (KBH1) core and correlation with the southwestern stratigraphy of the Deccan Traps / Sonu, Kumar, A., Satyanarayanan, M., Pathak, V., Vedanti, N. and Shrivastava, J. P.
- Initial Cenozoic magmatic activity in East Africa: new geochemical constraints on magma distribution within the Eocene continental flood basalt province / Steiner, R. A., Rooney, T. O., Girard, G., Rogers, N., Ebinger, C. J., Peterson, L. and Phillips, R. K.
LIPs and their economic potential
- Mineral systems and their putative link with mantle plumes / Pirajno, F.
- Large igneous provinces of the Amazonian Craton and their metallogenic potential in Proterozoic times / Reis, N. J., Teixeira, W., D’Agrella-Filho, M. S., Bettencourt, J. S., Ernst, R. E. and Goulart, L. E. A.
- Platinum-group element geochemistry of the Panjal Traps: constraints on mantle melting and implications for mineral exploration / Shellnutt, J. G., Pang, K.-N., Qi, L. and Bhat, G. M.
- Origin of Fe–Ni–Cu (Co) sulfide and Fe–Ti oxide minerals in the c. 1.77 Ga dolerite dyke, Singhbhum Craton (eastern India) / Dey, A. and Mondal, S. K.
- Pyroxenite-hosted chalcopyrites from Sung Valley, Meghalaya, NE India: implications for the formation of both high- and low-temperature sulfides in plume-derived magma / Choudhary, S., Sen, K. and Kumar, S.