+44 1803 865913
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) was a naturalist, explorer and philanthropist now well known for his multidisciplinary approach to science. First published in English in 1873, this two-volume biography was translated from the German edition of 1872, edited by Karl Bruhns, which had been compiled in commemoration of the centenary of Humboldt's birth. Incorporating numerous extracts of Humboldt's own warmly written letters and anecdotes from his many acquaintances, it charts his travels in South America, Asia and Europe.
Volume 1 covers his early exploratory trips and some of his lesser known exploits, including becoming Superintendent of Mines in Northern Bavaria and his research on the sixteenth-century eruption of Nevado del Altar in Ecuador.
Volume 2 covers his later life, exploring an impecunious periodin Paris at the Ecole Polytechnique, where he shared rooms with the French chemist Gay-Lussac, and his later association with Frederick William IV of Prussia.
Part I. Youth and Early Manhood:
1. Early home
2. College life
3. Official employment
4. Weimar and Jena
5. Thwarted plans and their ultimate accomplishment
Part II. Travels in America and Asia:
Travels in America:
1. Preliminary remarks
2. From Corunna to Puerto Cabello
3. Expedition to the Orinoco
4. Visit to Cuba
5. Journey to Quito
7. From Quito to Mexico
8. Mexico and the United States. Return home
9. Home life
Travels in Asia:
1. Projected schemes
2. Travels in Asiatic Russia
Part III. Sojourn in Paris from 1808 to 1826
1. Publication of the results of the expedition to South America
2. Friends and coadjutors at Paris
3. Characteristic traits and personal incidents
Part IV. The Meridian and Decline of Life. Berlin, 1827-59
1. Residence at Berlin to the revolution of July
2. From the revolution of July to the death of Frederick William III
3. From the accession of Frederick William IV to the revolution of 1848
4. The last ten years
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
We welcome the range and price of boxes available and have been delighted with the speedy service compared to other suppliers.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985