Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Mammalogy is the study of mammals from the diverse biological viewpoints of structure, function, evolutionary history, behavior, ecology, classification, and economics. Thoroughly updated, the Sixth Edition of Mammalogy explains and clarifies the subject as a unified whole. The text begins by defining mammals and summarizing their origins. It moves on to discuss the orders and families of mammals with comprehensive coverage on the fossil history, current distribution, morphological characteristics, and basic behavior and ecology of each family of mammals. The third part of the text progresses to discuss special topics such as mammalian echolocation, physiology, behavior, ecology, and zoogeography. The text concludes with two additional chapters, previously available online, that cover mammalian domestication and mammalian disease and zoonoses.
New to the Sixth Edition:
- Previously available only online, chapters 27 and 28 are included within the text.
- Includes new thought-provoking boxes throughout to illuminate current mammalian topics, including platypus electroreception, the origin of Eutherians, terrestrial pollination syndrome, Echidna reproductive anatomy, and many more.
- New and updated discussions in the sixth edition include, information on Philodotans, new research about the Miocene Era, new information about the pygmy sperm whale and the Family Iniidae, new information on suborder Odontoceti, updated information about the evolution of strepsirrhine primates, updated statitistics on rabies and lyme disease, and more.
- Contains many new photographs and drawings throughout to further clarify key material.
- The extensively revised Sixth Edition presents a more thorough use of phylogenetically based mammalian relationships to reflect the recent extraordinary activity in mammalian biology.
- Provides additional pedagogical resources to aid in comprehension, including chapter summaries, bolded key terms, and a list of useful books and journal articles for further exploration of key topics located at the end of each chapter.
- Accompanied by a full suite of instructor ancillaries, including PowerPoint Lecture Outlines, PowerPoint Image Bank, and Discussion Questions.
Part 1 Introduction to the Mammalia
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Mammalian Origins
Chapter 3 Mammalian Characteristics
Chapter 4 Classification of Mammals
Part 2 Mammalian Diversity
Chapter 5 Monotremata
Chapter 6 Metatheria
Chapter 7 Introduction to Eutherian Mammals
Chapter 8 Afrosoricidea, Macroscelidea, and Tublidentata
Chapter 9 Paenungulata
Chapter 10 Cingulata, Pilosa, and Pholidota
Chapter 11 Dermoptera and Scandentia
Chapter 12 Primates
Chapter 13 Rodentia and Lagomorpha
Chapter 14 Erinaceomorpha and Soricomorpha
Chapter 15 Chiroptera
Chapter 16 Carnivora
Chapter 17 Perissodactyla
Chapter 18 Artiodactyla
Chapter 19 Cetacea
Part 3 Mammalian Structure and Function
Chapter 20 Reproduction
Chapter 21 Aspects of Physiology
Chapter 22 Echolocation
Part 4 Ecology, Behavior, and Conservation
Chapter 23 Ecology
Chapter 24 Behavior
Chapter 25 Zoogeography
Chapter 26 Mammalian Conservation Ethics
Chapter 27 Mammalian Domestication
Chapter 28 Mammalian Disease and Zoonoses