Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Swifts visit the UK between April and August, during which time they breed and raise their chicks before leaving again for warmer places to spend the winter months. Unlike swallows and house martins, swifts prefer to use existing holes, cracks and crevices for their nests such as those in old buildings. As modern building practices have improved the quality of homes in the UK, these nest sites are becoming more and more scarce and swifts are becoming much more dependent on nest boxes.
The Manthorpe Swift Brick has been developed with the help of conservation experts and is designed to provide a safe and spacious area for swifts to nest within the modern home. Available in four different colours, the box is designed to blend into the brickwork and so provides an aesthetically pleasing addition to any new build or development. Manufactured from PVC and Polypropylene, this nest box is designed to last for an extremely long time and will not rot or degrade.
The Swift Brick should be sited high within the gable wall of the property, ideally above 5 metres. If possible, avoid locations which receive long periods of direct sunlight throughout the day. An ideal place is below the overhang of the verge and barge board.
* The visible part of the nest box takes the space of a single brick and is designed to blend into the surrounding masonry
* Very simple to install, it can be fitted quickly and easily during the bricklaying process (see installation instructions below)
* The nest box at the rear features a pre-made nest concave which provides a useful starting point for nest building
* The entrance hole is obround in shape and measures 29 x 65mm; the ideal size for swifts
* The size of the nest box has been specifically designed to provide the maximum amount of living space possible within the wall
* A built-in cavity tray in the roof of the bricks prevents water from getting into the nest box
Manthorpe Swift Box Installation Instructions
* Width: 347mm
* Depth: 200mm
* Height: 153mm
* Dimensions of protruding "brick" section: 80 x 227mm
* Entrance hole: Obround; 29 x 65mm
* Weight: 0.71kg
* Materials: PVC (base); Polypropylene (top)
* Available colours: Terracotta, Slate Gray, Antique Red, Buff
* Manufacturing: Injection moulded