+44 1803 865913
By: Keith N Frayn(Author)
Metabolic Regulation looks in detail at how molecules, cells and tissues operate collectively in human health and disease, using an approach that has become known as 'integrative physiology'. Since the publication of the first edition of this extremely well received book, the understanding of how metabolism is regulated has developed substantially in several ways, for example with the discovery of the hormone leptin, and also in the continuing advances in the understanding of gene expression. Full details of these and other new advances are included in this fully updated edition.
Carefully laid out with relevant and clearly explained examples, and containing much new material, this new edition covers in an integrated way: concepts and mechanisms, digestion and intestinal absorption, organs and tissues, endocrine organs and hormones, the integration of carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism, the nervous system and metabolism, lipoprotein metabolism, diabetes mellitus, energy balance and body weight regulation and how the body copes with some extreme situations.
Reviews of the first edition:
"This is an excellent textbook"
– Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism
"The coverage is excellent for students following courses such as nutrition and human biology"
"This book is ideal for medical students"
– Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
List of Abbreviations
1. The Underlying Principles of Human Metabolism
2. Cellular Mechanisms Involved in Metabolic Regulation
3. Digestion and Intestinal Absorption
4. Longer-Term Regulation of Metabolism
5. Organs and Tissues
6. Important Endocrine Organs and Hormones
7. Integration of Carbohydrate, Fat, and Protein Metabolism in Normal Daily Life
8. The Nervous System and Metabolism
9. Coping with Some Extreme Situations
10. Lipoprotein Metabolism
11. Diabetes Mellitus
12. Energy Balance and Body Weight Regulation
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Keith Frayn is Professor of Human Metabolism at the University of Oxford, UK.
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is my favorite supplier (very professional and fast). Bravo!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985