By: Louise H Emmons(Author), Feer François(Illustrator)
379 pages, 29 plates with colour illustrations, 7 plates with b/w illustrations; 11 b/w illustrations, 195 b/w distribution maps
Neotropical Rainforest Mammals, the first color-illustrated field guide to these marvelously diverse and elusive creatures, has enjoyed tremendous success since its initial publication in 1990. Ecotourists and field researchers alike have applauded this guide's compact size, light weight, and durability. More important, they have appreciated its clear and concise accounts of the mammals of this broad region. Each species account includes information on identifying characteristics, similar species, vocalizations, behavior and natural history, geographic range, conservation status, local names, and references to the scientific literature.
In this completely revised and updated second edition:
- A total of 226 species are treated in full (206 were included in the first edition).
- All species accounts retained from the first edition have been updated to include the most recent research.
- All 195 maps showing the distribution and geographic range of each species have been revised to reflect the most current information.
- Twenty-nine beautiful color plates illustrate more than 220 species (including significant color variants between males and females or adults and young). Seven black-and-white plates contain more than 60 images of individual species, mainly bats.
"If you can't go to the Central and South American rain forests to see firsthand their threatened ecosystems, here is the next best thing."
- Washington Post Book World
"A large amount of information is presented concisely and in a way that is easy to use."
"The presentation and wealth of information contained in this field guide is outstanding and will satisfy the needs of both the 'tourist' and 'researcher' traveling to the Neotropics."
- Canadian Field-Naturalist
List of Illustrations
Preface to the Second Edition
What Is in This Book, Where It Comes from, and How to Use It
Anteaters, Sloths, and Armadillos (Xenarthra)
Peccaries and Deer (Artiodactyla)
App. A. Glossary
App. B: Keys to the Families and Genera of Rainforest Mammals
App. C: Classification, Study, Biogeography, and Conservation of Neotropical Rainforest Mammals
App. D: Tracks of Large Mammals
App. E: Checklist and Index of Scientific Names
Index of Genera and Common Names
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
This really is first rate customer service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985