+44 1803 865913
By: P Shetty
224 pages, 19 illus
Infectious diseases are an important cause of malnutrition. Recurrent infections increase the risk of malnutrition while poor nutritional status results in lowered immune status and predisposes to infectious disease thus propagating the vicious cycle of infection and malnutrition. The nutrition-infection-immunity axis is crucial for both developed and developing countries and is now a central feature of many nutrition and infectious disease courses.
Bringing together nutrition and immunology, Nutrition, Immunity and Infections covers the topic in an accessible format for all students of nutrition, medicine and public health. Through his work at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the FAO's Food and Nutrition Division and his current post at the University of Southampton, Professor Shetty has built a reputation to match his wealth of experience in the relationship between nutrition and susceptibility to infection.
2. Defence mechanisms of the body
3. Nutrients in food
4. Role of nutrients in infection and immune functions
5. Effects of under nutrition on host defence mechanisms and the immune response
6. Role of infections in the aetiology and pathogenesis of under nutrition
7. Vitamin A deficiency and risk of infection
8. Zinc deficiency and infections
9. Iron status and risk of infection
10. Nutrition and diarrhoeal disease
11.Nutrition and parasitic infections
12. Nutrition and HIV/AIDS
13. Nutrition and tuberculosis
14. Nutrition and infection in infancy and childhood
15. Maternal nutrition and infection
16. Nutrition and infection in the elderly and aged
17. Relationships between infections and non-communicable diseases
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
EXCELLENT SERVICE FROM NHBS. I will continue to choose them wherever possible for future purchases. Good service deserves to be rewarded.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985